Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea?
Yes 11 91.67%
No 0 0%
You are completely insane, why ould anyone want that. 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM
narcberry
Sarnak

Thanks anyone and everyone that makes doing anything easier for others. Seriously, thank you.

As far as a all in one tool goes, I'm not a fan of using VB. It's such a hacked language, requiring all users to jump through silly hoops. Plus, you're running things client-side usually so my devs end up waiting through ridiculous downtime between each action when working on the database (on the order of 5 seconds per line operation). It should be server side, since that is where the database is (probably) and that is where the spells file is and that is where all the quests are and that is where all the config files are and that is where all the logs are and that is where the ...

To me, the obvious solution would be a php based tool. It can be available to all your devs, as well as maintain security. php is very good at interfacing with databases and you only have to set it up once, on the server. It could easily be used to edit quests and spells, even make the latest spells file available for download. It could even interface directly with the server as it is running. All of this in a well designed tool. VB is so icky (no offense georges).

I have no intention of crushing your spirits, but I would hope before you get too far along you consider a redesign using a server-side all-in-one tool. If you do, I'd be willing to help. An all-in-one tool would just be too helpful.