Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
AndMetal
Developer

Default Rampage AA + big pulls = zone issues?

I know this has been an issue on Storm Haven for Melees doing AE on anything more than a few mobs at once & I'm not sure if anyone has experienced similar issues.

Basically, if you pull too many mobs at once, then use the AA Ability Rampage (attacks everything with a range of 30), it will either cause one to go Linkdead or crash the zone.

During my testing, I used the new #aggrozone command in Sanctus Seru (probably the most populated zone in the PEQ DB, 782 NPCs after a #repop force). If I used a weapon (with augs, so 1275 damage + 635 cold damage + 1270 human bane damage, 500% strikethrough) with no procs, the zone would hang for a moment (after jumping to about 20% utilization of the process on a 3.2 GHz Intel processor) and a bunch of mobs would die. In addition, the bandwidth utilization on the client was between 9,000 & 10,000 bytes/sec. However, if I put on an Earthshaker without any augments, etc, the zone process shoots up to 100% utilization, the client lags out, and once the client disconnects, the zone utilization goes down to 0 (but doesn't crash).

It seems like the zone server is working so hard on crunching all the data that it doesn't go back to let the client know it's still there.

After thinking about it, I think a temporary fix would be to send some sort of arbitrary packet (maybe like an HP Update) to all the clients in the zone every couple of iterations through EntityList::AEAttack in zone/effects.cpp, that way the client knows the zone is still there & doesn't lag out completely.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or maybe some ideas on this?

My Contributions to the Wiki