Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 12-27-2004, 04:58 AM
tomvs123
Fire Beetle

Default Quest NPCs casting wrong spells?

I'm attempting at getting the soulbinders working on my server but it's not working properly

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {
if ($text=~/Hail/i){quest::say("Greetings $name . Blah Blah [bind your soul]."); }
if ($text=~/bind my soul/i){quest::say("Very well. You will return to this spot when you die.");
quest::castspell($userid,2049); }
}
I've tried this, but the NPC casts thunderclap instead. I've checked my spells.txt files and thunderclap is id 471 and 1024. Bind Affinity is 2049 and 35 (I've tried both).

Both Ids of bind affinity work find if a GM casts it, so I'm not sure what's up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Dave987
Discordant

Firstly, Bind Soul is a beneficial spell, therefore will not work. Use quest::selfcast() .

As for the whole thunderclasp thing, I'm not too sure what that's about. Try using selfcast() and see if the spell changes at all. Though it is unlikely, it might work.

What do you get when you #findspell the spell's name? That would be the correct Spell ID...

Good luck,
Scary
Old 12-28-2004, 03:11 AM
tomvs123
Fire Beetle

I failed to notice that beneficial spells do not work yet when npcs cast them. Anywhow, quest::selfcast(2049) works great. Although it's a little weird seeing the character bind himself rather than the binder
Old 12-28-2004, 03:32 AM
Dave987
Discordant

If it's not broken, don't fix it!
I guess you could have the NPC do quest::doanim(____) .
Look for a good animation number which looks like casting, and then it will seem more real that the NPC is casting the spell.

No problem!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Yeah, Scary pretty much got it. As far as I understand it, the Client does not allow NPC's to cast beneficial spells on PC's, or as far as we yet understand how it works.

Best thing would be to use selfcast(); and if you want, doanim();
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:15 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

This is no restriction in the client. NPC's can and do cast beneficial spells on players in EQlive, and they do so without requiring the PC to self-cast. It's embedded deep in EQEmu's spell system that NPC's casting anything beneficial on PC's is bad, very very bad. What would be required to change that isn't worth it at this point when selfcast is a nice workaround. :P
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.