Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 02-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Richardo
Banned

This should work for you... It works for me perfectly...

sub EVENT_SAY {
if ($text=~/Hail/i)
{
quest::say("Greetings $name. When a hero of our world is
slain, their soul returns to the place it was last bound and the body is
reincarnated. As a member of the Order of Eternity, it is my duty to
[bind your soul] to this location if that is your wish.");
}
if ($text=~/bind my soul/i)
{
quest::say("Very well, you will return to this spot when you die.");
quest::selfcast(2049);
}
}

Ok now lets look over your quests...

sub EVENT_SAY {
if ($text=~/Hail/i){quest::say("Greetings $name . When a hero of our world is slain. their soul returns to the place it was last bound and the body is reincarnated. As a member of the Order of Eternity. it is my duty to [bind your soul] to this location if that is your wish."); }
if ($text=~/bind my soul/i)
{
quest::say("Very well. You will return to this spot when you die.");
quest::selfcast(2049);}
}

Its always best to clean up your quests and make sure all of the brackets ect are not so bunched up, like I marked in red, above... Although I am not sure why yours does not work, all I did was clean up how close everything was and it fixed...

"and the other one"

sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/Hail/i){quest::say("Greetings $name. When a hero of our world is slain their soul returns to the place it was last bound and the body is reincarnated. As a member of the Order of Eternity it is my duty to [bind your soul] to this location if that is your wish.");}
if($text=~/bind my soul/i)
{
quest::say("Binding your soul. You will return here when you die.");
quest::castspell($userid,2049);##quest::selfcast(id); is all you need...
}
}

Last edited by Lexen1; 02-25-2005 at 08:31 PM..
Old 02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
solid11
Discordant

Lexen, I copied your to the "T", making sure space were and were not where they were suppose to be. It doesn't work. Also, when I log in hail him he won't say anything until I #reloadpl on him. Then he just says the first line of text, but won't do anything when I say bind my soul. Only fix that REMOTELY works so far is Cisyouc's version and that one automatically binds me as soon as I first hail him, but I still have to #reloadpl first for him to say anything at all. This is Cisyouc's version again, maybe you all know why his works, somewhat, and the others don't, and why I have to do the #reloadpl command each time I log in. Is it because the server is technically down and your booting up the quests on the server when you bring it up? thats the only thing I can think of since Sony's servers are up all the time and they probably boot up all the quests when they bring it up from a patch. Grabbin at straws here, hehe.

sub EVENT_SAY {
if ($text=~/Hail/i){quest::say("Greetings $name . When a hero of our world is slain. their soul returns to the place it was last bound and the body is reincarnated. As a member of the Order of Eternity. it is my duty to [bind your soul] to this location if that is your wish."); }
if($text=~/bind/i)
{
quest::say("Very well. You will return to this spot when you die.");
quest::selfcast(2049); }
}

BTW, you asked why it seems they are bunched up and that's the way they came when I downloaded the PEQ quest pack. But the one above is exactly how I have it in the file and it will bind me, but without a request too. thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:02 PM
farce
Hill Giant

*if* npc text is triggering EVENT_SAYs, that sounds like a bug.

however, I dont remember that happening back when I was quest writing... so it's prolly just a fubar script.

Also, I notice that you have periods for commas in your script solid11... I found the fix for that bug a long time ago in case you didn't know =)
Old 02-26-2005, 08:45 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

NPC's do trigger other NPC's say events on EQLive. Usually scripted to make the NPC's appear to be arguing with each other.

That said, I don't think the say events in the EQEmu quest system are intended to respond to NPC says, at least not at this time. It's worth asking at this point, did you get your copy of perl recently? And from an official download source?
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:35 AM
solid11
Discordant

I got perl 5.8.2 MSWIN 32 from the link in Malignus' tutorial. Also using the PEQ quest pack, but don't think that matters. I read you need to label pl files with ID of npc. All the pl's in quest pack are labeled with npc's names, and broke down by zone like quests\gfaydark\soulbinder_oakstout.pl
Does that matter? I only checked a couple of quests and they seem to work this way. Just thought you had to have IDs, or is that the old perl system?

Last edited by solid11; 02-27-2005 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-27-2005, 04:29 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

As of a recent change the files can be named either by NPC ID or name. Be aware that unless there's been a very recent change to fix this, a quest file by name won't work for an npc that begins with #, and Verant had a thing for putting important quest/encounter mobs as #theirname.

You may have either a corrupt or old Perl installation, or using old server code, as that really is the only explanation for the same quest working on other servers but not you.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:20 AM
solid11
Discordant

So what is a current perl program? Is Malignus' tutorial link out of date? It was a pain to get it installed just for the fact of the IO scalar issue, but I did get rid of the errors. If everything works besides soulbinder, I'll just stick with the auto bind quest that does work for now I guess, but I would like to know about current perl.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Since perl can be a pain installing sometimes, the soulbinder quest alone isn't worth upgrading over. I haven't seen Malignus's tutorial, but if it is linking to a specific perl version instead of just pointing you to the perl site and letting you get whatever's latest, then you run the risk of perl being out of date.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 AM
solid11
Discordant

There is a newer version on the activestate website which I just DL'd but will the PEQ quests work if i upgrade?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Richardo
Banned

Hey man, I know for a fact this quest works. Get newest source of 6.0 if your quests arn't working. Works perfect for me....
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
solid11
Discordant

I DL'd the 6.0 from the link in malignus' setup tutorial for perl. Is there a site for a more up to date 6.0? His is a auto DL so I don't know what site it's from. Not sure how old it is.