Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Kagehi
Sarnak

Default Proximity and npc vs. npc

Tried to do a search on this. Also posted a similar question on the forums for PEQ, since I am trying to work out what is broken in Luclin, other than the obvious, like pathing, and... everything else. lol

Now, I didn't play a "lot" on EQ and most of my time was spent on the moon of Luclin, so I have no idea if other areas had npc vs. npc behavior at all. I seem to remember them mostly just all ignoring each other. Luclin was different, since mobs would wander from the pit, wander at the tents in Shadeweaver, etc. Some ignored each other, some got outright hostile, and some, like the guards in Luclin, would tag the mob that chased you out of the pit and kill it dead for you. None of this is working.

So, the questions are:

1) Is there a "proximity" type check for NPCs detecting other NPCs, with a different/no faction. Doesn't look like it, from what I have been able to see in my looking around for it.

2) If not, how the heck do you make them react to something coming too near, so that the low end mob gets wacked by the guard.

These is one feature of Luclin, including the, "where is blah", trick that let you ask NPCs where ones they know the location of, and find-path you to them, which where, unless I am wrong, *huge* changes in the way that zones worked from prior expansions. Without them working, fixing the rest of the broken stuff there isn't worth much imho. It would be nice to know, at least, if this is possible at this point, or if I should ignore it, in favor of nosing through other stuff, like the quest lines.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
trevius
Developer

Normal NPC agro range should take care of how far you want the NPC to agro.

And I haven't tried it myself yet, but I would imagine if you want NPCs to attack each other, you might be able to set the NPCs you want to be attacked to actually have low faction with a certain faction type.

I have seen servers where certain NPCs attack others, but I imagine that has been done using the quest::attack() quest function. That can set 1 NPC to always attack another upon any event.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

for npcs to attack each other you need 2 things

1. set them to opposite factions
2. set at least one of them to Agressive status in npc_types tables

these are the excatly 2 setting that make npc into a "guard"
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Kagehi
Sarnak

Hmm. Ok. Guess I will look at other stuff then, at least until I actually have a server up and running to test things on, instead of just making suggestions on forums about how to fix certain things, like the, "Bindarah won't give you a new slate if you ask.", bug, which is going to require some globals to get the quest to work as intended, and make sure you earned the slate before asking for one (not to mention checking to make sure you don't already have one, so you don't get more than one, etc., etc., etc...).

Thanks for the info.