Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Default EQEmu Server Hosting

Anyone know of some good, yet affordable game server sites that I might be able to set up an EQEmu server?

I have been shopping around and there are some resonably priced ones out there that have MySQL and PHP hosting emails and can also host games.

I need one though I could install perl on and perferably a Windows server type.

Thought maybe if someone had any suggestions they could through them out here.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismed0 View Post
Anyone know of some good, yet affordable game server sites that I might be able to set up an EQEmu server?

I have been shopping around and there are some resonably priced ones out there that have MySQL and PHP hosting emails and can also host games.

I need one though I could install perl on and perferably a Windows server type.

Thought maybe if someone had any suggestions they could through them out here.
What are you looking to pay?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

See that is a good question. I don't want to go broke and I figure start small. even if it has a bandwith restriction I don't think I will have a ton of people joining my server (at least not right away :=): ) I have seen a few out there for as little as like $5 a month but they are usualy missing something.

I am only thinking about an external server because I'm not sure how well my connection could support more connections if I started getting them. I know EQEmu and Everquest was designed for low bandwith (Dialup in the old days) but still not sure how well it would hold up if I got say more then 15 or 20 people playing on it.

I figured start small. Build off from there. Maybe get a page setup and some residual income to pay for upkeep (yes I know any money has to be volintary and I can't make a profit it all has to go to the upkeep) plus might take a little bit off my system I'm using. not that is't straining it any.
This is what I got:

Phenon II x6 core 3.0 GHz
16 gig DDR 3
NVidia 460 GTX OC 1 gig DDR5
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
My Internet = 10Mbps down / 0.8 Mbps up / Ping about 31 (DSL)

I'm running Wamp (MySQL / Apache / PHPMyAdmin / PHP )
I just switched my DB over to Wamp and now it's tied into PHPMyAdmin and PEQ Editor with the Apache.
(At least as long as I don't start running into any problems)

Was just "window shopping" to see if there was anything out there that might be worth putting my server out there (I like tinkering with things I have rented servers before for different things)

And not sure what my stuff will support without issues like lag and stuff.. since My connection is so close to home. Nothing to compare with.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM
chrismed0
Sarnak

bumping this kinda lost track of it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Could always run your own dedicated server using an old computer or building one.

.8mb will technically run a few groups of people.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 AM
chrismed0
Sarnak

Ya the nice thing is... IF I start getting some population and maybe a few donations, I might be able to crank my speed for just a little more a month. My ISP has it where I can turn up my upload speed (usualy ment for bussiness) and my download speed can go all the way to 25Mbps (but that not realy where I need more speed). I can't remember, I think they said I could have my upload as much as 1.5Mbps which isn't to bad?

Loving DSL.. it's getting better all the time
This company I have been with a few years is pritty reliable to.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Where you at man? Charter in my area offers 100mb/5mb service. I know the guys in FiOS areas get like 50/50 or some crap. That'd be hella nice!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
ghanja
Dragon

30/20 here with no port restrictions aside from the "common backdoor" ports. It was 50-75 upstream, but, not surprisingly, once they bonded the upstream, they put the lock down on downstream (cannot complain, as I'm only paying for the 30, but after having had up to 75 from the day they bonded downstream over a year ago -- I've grown accustomed to the speed).