Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Warkral
Sarnak

Default Education question

If someone wanted to learn how to set up and run an emu, what type of education/schooling should they look into? I'm assuming a computer science degree? However I'm also looking for specifics. What fields are priority for someone wanting to learn how to do this?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

honestly, basic reading comprehension and the ability to use a search engine is all that is really required.

that being said, it'll help a great deal to learn basic scripting (perl) and relational database (mysql) concepts if you intend to do much customization. after you have a decent grasp of that, it shouldn't be too difficult to move into modifying the source code itself.

some people learn concepts better by diving right in and reading/learning as they go along, being forced to fix the things they break along the way. it just depends on the type of learner that you are.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Dunge0nMastr
Hill Giant

Ive been attending school now for a few years in Video game Design and production. With a focus on writing. That being said getting some background in C/SQL etc through my education has been incredibly helpful. But for the most part 99% of what i have done scripting wise has been self taught. Theres alot of Emu thats custom to emu itself, so while having a education background in some areas has helped its really only helped in a fundamental way.

There are a lot of great resources around here and just looking at people scripts/scripts within the PEQ db can teach you ALOT. Perl is relatively simple, and i did pick up a book: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Perl-...=learning+perl

which helped me solidify my conceptual grasp of PERL.

But really, if your looking to break into EMU deving. SIt down for a few hours a day (or week, w/e your schedule allows) and just play with it. Thats been the #1 teacher for me these last 8 months or so.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 PM
KLS
Administrator

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most the people who work on the emulator do not have computer science degrees. I do, but I started working on the emulator before my degree.

You really only need computer proficiency, time, reading ability and the willingness to make mistakes to be able to setup and run a server. The guides are a lot better than they used to be (though still need improvement imo).
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Warkral
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say most the people who work on the emulator do not have computer science degrees. I do, but I started working on the emulator before my degree.

You really only need computer proficiency, time, reading ability and the willingness to make mistakes to be able to setup and run a server. The guides are a lot better than they used to be (though still need improvement imo).
Interesting. Ok, thanks for the responses. I have considered this at times, but reading questions/responses it seemed way out of my league. It was like people may has well been talking Chinese. But again, I've only skimmed over the how to guides.