Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1zzle
I for one would help if I knew how...
That the problem for all people, this is a hard work to combine this 2 db.
Making a program for make that, take a long time :(
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Yes it's hard work, but more so, very prone to errors.

I have thought of combining the two, but it's complicated, and requires lot's of 'hand crafted code'

Simple things like tradeskill recipes should be easier to merge, but the itemid's may be different

even the database schemas are different in some aspects. There are reference tables (like classes, races, spells) in Cavedudes DB that are excellent, and should be inlcuded in PEQ.

I'm looking into some of these tasks...
GeorgeS
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
EliteSting
Sarnak

I'm currently starting work on Luclin, I spent many years playing live and have first hand knowledge of every luclin zone. After I get some zones done I'll post the database ( using cavedudes db , I like the idea of combining the two though , maybe I'll look into that ). It's going to be a while though , even with the db , item , and quest editors I have up and going. I'm a perfectionist , and don't like leaving anything half-assed , so yeah it may be a while. My current dilema is figuring out how to run scripts in game , so I can write encounters and tune them properly ( or as close as I can get them ).... O.o nm , I just had an idea. ><
Old 06-21-2006, 11:33 PM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
even the database schemas are different in some aspects. There are reference tables (like classes, races, spells) in Cavedudes DB that are excellent, and should be inlcuded in PEQ.
The reference tables, and dont quote me on this, I believe came from my DB editor, and from the Allakazam Clone (races and spells). I was using these tables for my DB Classes that I wrote in order to make it easier for the user to enter Bodytype, class, race and spell information. As far as the base information goes, as long as you keep up on the SQL updates from the Changelog in both Cavedudes and the PEQ DB they should have the exact same schema or the Emulator would not work with them.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

How about something in the line of a "public" database? since PEQ editor is web-based and you can actually set it up at any web site, point it to the PEQ or EQ database you want to work on, give it a unique password, and you're ready to start.
You could have a group of people adding data to it like this. I think Cavedude's would be the one to use, since it gives a better start for something like this.
Problems would be - how would you decide how to choose/trust for adding data here? you can't let everyone, that would result in problems. And the database would have to be tested/backed up often, since it can pick up bugs while editing.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 PM
CamelFilter
Sarnak

Only problem I can see with that, is too many peeps adding diff loot tables and whatnot, losing track. If someone did that I'd suggest having certain people work on certain tables. Like one person on NPCs, their pathing, and spawngroups. One on aggro and loot tables. One on errmm AAs... Something like that. But they'd all have to work around the same rea at the same time. Just doing like one zone at a time.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:22 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

A couple comments, and I understand that not everybody will agree with these statements, but here goes.

If you are going to tune a database by hand, working on an expansions which PEQ has released (aka luclin), its really better for everybody if you make changes to the PEQ database.... The two databases exist due to different goals in short: PEQ is quality and cavedude is quantity. PEQ has done much more work to improve the quality of the zones it has built (hence why it takes so long), and fine-tuning another DB would likely be replicating much of this work. Further, the PEQ quest pack covers several encounters from luclin (thanks to Ylosh), and will only work with PEQ's DB.

Furthur, if you DO work on a database, reguardless of which one it is, you really should post the SQL updates you run, not your entire database... otherwise your going to essentially start a new fork because theres no reasonable way that I know of to find the changes made. PEQ editor will log all of its changes for you, and I even wrote some in-game SQL logging a while back (which I just had to fix today), but other SQL changes would need to be logged by hand.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:15 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathernitwit
The two databases exist due to different goals in short: PEQ is quality and cavedude is quantity.
To stop the flames

Cavedude admits this, he went for more spawns, that may or may not be live like.

PeQ is going for 100% live like.

Some people want live, some people dont care and just wants the zones spawned with anything, and others want a whole custom world.

This is why there is several forks.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

The reason why I chose EQ over PEQ is because I know there is a lot of work to be done reguardless - since this is all new to me and I am not what you call a "programmer", EQ gave me a jump start on a lot of zones. For example PEQ LoY is void of NPCs, but EQ on the other hand has NPCs - this to me at the time meant i didn't need to figure out how to get the first few models in the zones. Now, I saw where I can easily do that. I even asked for some help on how to do this, but got no answers. I know you guys must be very busy with your work, so I've "blundered" around tell I got a "working" system with a couple of the editors that are out there. I know what I wanted to know was buried somewhere in a Waki, but at the time, I couldn't find it. This is why i try to help all the new users as much as possible with whatever I learned so far. I figure if nothing else, we at least have another "customer" for the EQEMU Servers. I know they are like me: blinded by all the "newness" of everything, and need a little push start. If not, they could get frustrated and quit.
I can easily go back to PEQ, and I will -What I'll loose mostly is my "Harbingers' Spire" work, but I can always open up two PEQ Editors, one EQ and one PEQ and copy it over.
Tell me where I can post these updates to the SQL database so it will help you - I saw where I had the PEQ editor logging disabled, but I will enable it, and restart with PEQ.