Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Necx
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslamarch View Post
Well since this is open source and other login server option are out there, A fork of the project could work at this point?
Sounds like killing off half the community to me.
Another option has to be worked out.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

We released the full loginserver, with no restrictions have at it guys. Host your own worlds and get away from PEQEMu.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Could someone explain to me why people are getting upset in laymens (like, use an analogy about keys or cars or something ) terms please? I am very confused; I see Trevius submitting what looks like a fine solution, and some people calling armageddon.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I believe Trevius misunderstood me a bit. Minilogin will not be going anywhere. If all goes according to plan when all is done we will all have MORE options then we do now in regards to logging in. If anybody wants to write their own alternate login server, there won't be anything stopping them.

What KLS came up with, and both Wild and KLS are working on all the time truly will put every single one of us in a better place in regards to EQEmu, I promise you that. It's just going to take time, as things need to be written from scratch.

Personally, I am sick of this login server bullshit. I just want to go back to database work and be done with this already.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Necx
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
I believe Trevius misunderstood me a bit. Minilogin will not be going anywhere. If all goes according to plan when all is done we will all have MORE options then we do now in regards to logging in. If anybody wants to write their own alternate login server, there won't be anything stopping them.

What KLS came up with, and both Wild and KLS are working on all the time truly will put every single one of us in a better place in regards to EQEmu, I promise you that. It's just going to take time, as things need to be written from scratch.

Personally, I am sick of this login server bullshit. I just want to go back to database work and be done with this already.
Thanks CD. I figured something was a miss. I hope them the best of luck and take as much time as ness just to make it right.

I haven't played on anyones server since the login headaches started.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Image is still working on it but once finalized, you'll have a stable life-time copy of a minilogin to use there without any changes kids.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
trevius
Developer

I apologize for the confusion! I read too much into the update I got from Cavedude and obviously misunderstood that part. I was trying to elaborate on the update I got as much as possible to make sure people got as much of an update as was possible.

Assume: Making an "ass" out of "u" and "me", but mostly just me in this case! Again, I am sorry and want to thank Cavedude for his quick clarification on the matter.

I updated the original post in this thread with an edit to clarify the correction Cavedude gave.

Last edited by trevius; 03-31-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

So, with image releasing his own unrestricted LS, and the EQEmu team switching hosts... I really don't see anything negative about either of them. This allows projects who want to go off on their own codebase can, and allows a central location for those who want to stay. I've heard a thousand times "the LS is the central connection place for our community" but that has dawned on me that it really... isn't. There will always be a central forum and its followers which the original codebase started on. And that's the beauty of open-source, the communities that come with it.

Regardless of all the tension that has come to be, I think we'll still be united in one way: A forum. We all know eqemulator.net brings us here, and we all know that even if a project like Shards of Dalaya splits off, they all follow us home, as noted in the off-topic section. In fact, KLS said she came from Shards to here.

I know no one mentioned the fear of having more than one LS, but I will mention the good thing about it: We all come back home in the end. A community can't be divided by an application, a community can only be divided by people willing to break off of that application and moving on to a new one. Chances are, no one in this community wants to break off and move to a new LoginServer, because we're already established here, and breaking off has no use. I can guarantee that if someone tried another Shards-like splitoff with a non-legit server, it would not work at all. The average lifespan of these emulated servers would not justify anyone moving to another LS... it's why this LS we have worked for so long.

Now that we have options for those who are brave enough to start their own splitoff server, I think those who are able to/want to can. The thing is, they probably won't get that high of a playerbase until they move back to a central location, and that is the factor that brings us all together. Not an application, but a community.

I really wanted to get this off my back, as the whole "two LoginServers won't work thing" is true, but in a different way. just adding my 2cp. :p
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
dagrea
Banned

personally your wrong the unrestricted ls does have a central location as an option and with it being unrestricted those places can make a community for MANY Servers not just the one.

it wont be servers that spin off but whole other emu forks and thats good its time the egomaniacs of eqemu had some competition i think bring them back down a few pegs with the rest of us mortals in the world yeah ill probably get banned if anyone wants to use it my ls is public http://classiceq.org its on a dedicated server and its a monster of a server outside my own updating i have had 0 downtime even after being attacked for like an hour my ls didnt even blink image and devnoob actually got a clue what they are doing with it good job guys
Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Aergad back again? So much for the week ban.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrea View Post
personally your wrong the unrestricted ls does have a central location as an option and with it being unrestricted those places can make a community for MANY Servers not just the one.
Way to ban evade.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
dagrea
Banned

hey not my fault they deleted my acocunt and unbanned me take it up with the admins
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Doesn't look deleted to me. Or unbanned, for that matter. Now Mattmeck's account, on the other hand, sure looks deleted.

I think what you mean to say is that they didn't go through the trouble of banning all of your login accounts so that you could at least use two out of the three (or however many you might have) to play, but your repeated posting makes it likely that they'll be sure to take the extra time for you and get them all.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
trevius
Developer

Temp ban on his Aergad account still. I perma banned this dagrea account, and if he does it again, I will perma ban all of them. Rules and punishment for breaking them are there for a reason and avoiding that has to result in consequence.