Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Quests

Archive::Quests Archive area for Quests's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:31 AM
hypershadow66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
there could be if somebody creates it.... but there's no point in that

i know what you are thinking but it wont work. example.

user status:
1=plane of disease
2=plane of fire
3=plane of torment

etc. i know these arent real flag required zones, just wrote names for examples sake.

you are thinking ok... ill flag that character as 1 and theyll be able to enter plane of disease.

ok.. sure... that could work.

but now. they do the plane of fire quest and they are now status 2. cool. that works too..

but wait.. what if they skip plane of disease, go straight to pofire quest. get that flag.... oops... guess what they can enter disease now too!

so in essence all they gotta do is get the flag for the highest up zone in the list and opens access to all. thats why this system is flawed
This could also work though, you could have the NPC at pofire check that he has 1 status before letting him do the quest for getting flagged for pofire, then they will not be able to get Pofire withought getting podisease, but then you cannot have seperate flags so you can get into po fire and not podisease or something like that. so it would work but you will have to complete the first quest and get podisease before you can move on.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

true true. it could work if you were fine with it being a set progression
Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathernitwit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draupner
If i decide to put them in for LOTR i'll post it for you guys
Lol, thats the second person around here in 24 hours working on Lord Of the Rings stuff

I hope this dosent affect any work being done on LDoN
Here i agree with you, Richardo Hi-jacked too many eqemu devs ... Richardo, if you read this, free them !

Old 08-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Draupner
Hill Giant

Yes please free me from my evil captor Richardo :p
Old 08-13-2004, 10:35 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
there could be if somebody creates it.... but there's no point in that

i know what you are thinking but it wont work. example.

user status:
1=plane of disease
2=plane of fire
3=plane of torment

etc. i know these arent real flag required zones, just wrote names for examples sake.

you are thinking ok... ill flag that character as 1 and theyll be able to enter plane of disease.

ok.. sure... that could work.

but now. they do the plane of fire quest and they are now status 2. cool. that works too..

but wait.. what if they skip plane of disease, go straight to pofire quest. get that flag.... oops... guess what they can enter disease now too!

so in essence all they gotta do is get the flag for the highest up zone in the list and opens access to all. thats why this system is flawed
That is basically what I am thinking. However the way I had it planned would be something like:

Flag 1 = lets you zone into zone1, zone2, zone3.
Flag 2 = lets you zone into zone4.
Flag 3 = lets you zone into zone5.

With a 0 flag you can't enter zone1 through zone5. However when you get flag 1 you can enter zone 1-3 which will have the quests to get you flag 2 so you can enter zone4, then zone4 gets flagged for zone5. If the person doesn't get flag 1, they can't go to zone4 to get flag 3. It would basically be a progressive quest leading to the final zone.

Of course if there is no current way to get a npc to change your user status, then it won't work anyways.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

thats a nice little system for a custom server. but not for the official cvs... flags dont work that way in eqlive
Old 08-14-2004, 02:52 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

So I guess to sum things up, unless your a coder you can forget any type of flagging quest as of right now? I assume it would require heavy codeing to add a perl function that allows a npc to modify your userstatus?
Old 08-14-2004, 05:21 AM
killspree
Dragon

Here's how I had it set up, brief example to give you an idea:

Firstly I had a new table that stored flags for various zones. If a zone required special flags for entry, it was in this table. It had the following: charid, zoneid, flag. They should be obvious, charid is the ID of the character attempting to enter the zone, zoneid is the ID of the zone they're attempting to enter. Flag was 1 for yes, 0 for no. If it was 0, the player got a message "You do not meet the requirements to enter this zone." much like when there aren't enough zone servers.

I then added a function which checked this table, and put it within the zoning function itself. That's basically it. I also added quest functions to add a specific zone which required the flag.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:23 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

pretty much exactly as i described...

except instead of 1 record per user in the flag table, 1 record per flag. either way it works.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:27 AM
killspree
Dragon

Yeah, I have other ideas of ways to implement it that would be better for me...but that's because I have set zones I plan to limit access to based on flags. This way is probably better for your everyday legit EQLive clone type server.