Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

View Poll Results: Do we need a Blacklist for Hackers and Cheaters ?
YES! 10 43.48%
NO! 8 34.78%
I don't mind 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonig
Hackers are an essential part of the emulator. If it were not for hackers, the eqemu would not exist. Those who dig into the inner workings to find out what makes them tick and then incorporate those ideas into the emulator are a necessity.
Interesting point. However, to not squabble over symantics, I am sure everyone who comprehends the language understands what the "nitty gritty" of this topic is all about - griefers, or people who find ways to exploit the system to an end that unbalances the overall "fairness" of the server.

But I'm certain you already knew that.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
mattmeck

/rant on

Todays sociaty sees 2 diferent set of people.

Hackers = Those trying to make life worse for others, finding issues with code and exploiting them for there own gain, and to make things worse for others.

Crackers = People who find the faults in code to fix them or make others aware, those out to improve the lives of others.

We want hackers out and crackers in, and as stated above you already knew this and just posts to gt a rise outa people.

/rant off
Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
EliteSting
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65
Good Idea....
Seeing anything like this actually working would be impossable to maintain
because of the abuse most of the players maintain thuout Servers.
Most anyone can boot up a shard and say there a servop.
I recommend they have a shard up at least 2 years to access the database
with Verified web site to boot.
I have always used disallow there IP from accesing the server box.
and it seems to work out good but they still hit my webserver untill I ban them there 2.
I agree with 99% of that , but being a young server ( Jest has only been around for the past 6-7 months ) we have had our fair share of idiots. I think maybe 1 year may be sufficient , with a verified website.

Driz.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Gameross
Fire Beetle

Rather see more effort in making the game better.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Darkonig
Hill Giant

Ok, wasn't going for semantic argument. I am really not sure in which category you would put something like running macroquest to help operate a group of characters vs playing one character only. I've read posts eluding both ways on the site and hear tales of some using macroquest to field entire raids. I am not currently running macroquest but am working on getting it set up. I intend to use it on my personal server but was also looking at using it on peq server because I have a couple friends who play on it and we can't always get on at the same time.

So. Macroquest used as an aid to multitasking... ok? or bad hacker go away?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonig
So. Macroquest used as an aid to multitasking... ok? or bad hacker go away?
Depends on the individual server owner.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Richardo
Banned

Curse those cheaters! They've made a mockery of us all!!! I say we strike back!!! Pillage the farms! Rape their Characters! and vote Richardo Presedent!

Edit: Just an idea, I haven't read the whole thread but... Why don't you guys create a 3rd party blacklist?...

For example..

Create a mysql driven website that holds a large compendium of banned players. Each server admin will have access (after proving ownership or however you would allow access) and everyone would pitch in bans (ONLY for cheaters, not for own personal reasons) and every 2 - 3 weeks you can update a large SQL file that people can source into their databases for banlist.

And pardon me for being late but I haven't played with eqemu in months.. Is there a command to ban IPs yet? If not.. Write one.. Sure you can ban them from your server, but it would simplify things just to add a command :p

Last edited by Lexen1; 01-30-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I don't believe there is an IP ban command in yet (though I'd like to see one too), but just a quick tip: most OS's now come with built-in firewall features; if necessary, you could use those to block IP's.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 AM
iamjooish2
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq4me
I cant comment for the USA but here in Europe the vast majority of people are using dialup accounts with variable IPs. So there is no use in banning on an IP basis. Moreover a normal Player without Guide/GM rights on an Emu server cant see the underlying accout name of an char. Since the char itself is only managed on the Emu server it is played on nobody but an Guid/GM can complain effectively to the maintainers of the login server.

But be aware that a new account is created in little time and the cheater is back in business. Yes, he will loose his old toon but imho this is of little conseqence since he most likely got booted from the server he last played on(and which GM complained) anyway. In banning him he might be even motivated to prove that you cant stop him. At least that was my impression from my time managing an Action Quake2 Server way back.
Not quite how it works.

IMO, the whole point of hacking/cheating in EQ is to derive virtual profit from your illegal trade. Creating new accounts sorta defeats that purpose, because the banned accts never really get a chance to finally 'beat the curve' if ya know what I mean.

Unlike many FPSs, a person can't just jump into EQ with an AIMbot and speedhack and make the server damn near unplayable for everyone else. What they can do is break a fragile economy/atmosphere of fairness for everyone else. Some players might know how to dupe on the emu, and duping sometimes involves crashing the server.

That would get old pretty fast