Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Development

Archive::Development Archive area for Development's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

Since the dead are coming back to life in this thread, I should post my 2 cents.

Quote:
Trump also quit on eqemu after receiving my message.
My decision to quit eqemu was based on my real life priorities, not any problems with the development team. In fact, it was a significant period of time after you departed. I frankly just dont have time for it anymore.

While I may or may not agree with everything everyone does, this is a very loose opensource project. Not everyone has the background and experience in project planning, Q&A, performance testing, development lifecycle strategies, etc, that others do, and to make attacks ad hominem because they don't see your point of view is exceedingly childish.

Quote:
moronic additions
Quote:
Jackasses like you
Quote:
mental midgets
Quote:
been given the chance to vigorously defend my own contributions
You were never denied the chance, it just a simple fact that none of us agreed with you, and you stormed off irate about it. You are a gifted coder, but your inability to integrate with others is demonstrative of one of the major problems in the IT industry. Teamwork is about compromise, acceptence when someone does not share your views, and ability to continue without emotion. I can see that you take great pride and ownership of your creations, but chastising those that don't share your opinion isolates you as emotionally challenged. I've fired plenty of gifted programmers in my life because of those attitudes, its counter productive to a collaborative working environment.

Quote:
Some of you, like m0oni9, obviously have some class and intelligence
Being classified as intelligent and classy is extremely easy in your world, you just need to agree with you. Personally I have more respect for people that challenge my ideas when they disagree, but to each their own, i'm not a control freak.

I can vouch that Scorp is definitely not a jackass, in fact he is probably one of the best advocates of ethical practices i've seen in awhile. devnoob on the other hand (LOL)!

There is no formal recogition process, but look at the user base of EQEMU versus much larger open source projects. If 5 million people had eqemu on their desktops, there might be a more definite recognition program, but lets be honest here. This project is SMALL potatoes in scale compared to many other open source projects (such as Mozilla). It is an adolescent project, and has no desire to go past that. Would it be more efficient with a better strtegy? Of course. Is it needed? Not really
Old 06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpcard
devnoob on the other hand (LOL)!

Hahaha i love you too trump! I guess my problem is I just dont give a fuck what others think of me anymore. So I say what i feel and think.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 06-08-2004, 10:11 AM
x-scythe
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/n00b
Hahaha i love you too trump! I guess my problem is I just dont give a fuck what others think of me anymore. So I say what i feel and think.
right on
Old 06-08-2004, 10:42 AM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

Eglin this post alone gave me enough reason to not recongize your support for this project. Grow up.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Default Ack!

Cant we all just get along :(
Old 06-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Baron Sprite
Dragon

If you code a method to scan thru the source and pick out sections done by people then generate php pages based on what the scanner has done, not to mention make it detail about the glorious changes that were done, I'll have le add it to the site. Until then, I don't think anyone feels like sorting thru HOWMANYFSKINGLINES? of code and picking out who has done what, and making a page on their wonderful achivements.
You better have a genie in a bottle also, because I know alot of people will do minor fixes as they see them IE changing "a apple" to "an apple" without posting a comment saying //BOB WAS HERE BIZZOS. So how can they ever be recognized for changing that? They are the unsung heroes of EQEMu indeed, viva la Bob.

Hell I probably only have like 5-6 entries in the changelog, which while it might seem small when drowned by all the entires from some juggernaught like image or when compared to his code or whatnot, but you know what? It's enough reward to me to know that I actually contributed something and that it helps other people have a good time, and helped make the project in whole work better. I could care less if I had a page with my name on it saying YAY 4 TEH BARON 4 TEH K0D3, the fact that people download and use eqemu is reward enough, and I know that I am getting credit for what I did from them using the software.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Yah, I never felt a need to add my name all over the place in the code whenever I wrote a function or fixed something that wasnt working right. I cant count how many times I have checked in code or bug fixes, and I usually dont leave a changelog entry. I mean in the last few months I have added maybe 3 or 4 changelog entries, but I have done a LOT more work than that for the project. Yah a page for contributions would be nice, but then again, I never contributed code to the project so I would be recognized. There is a LOT of stuff I have done for the project that doesnt have my rubber stamped nickname on it. Do I care its not? Hell no. I'm sure most of the other devs feel the same way. A simple thank you is all we require, sometimes not even that :P I totally agree with dev on this one, (although I wouldnt have put it quite some bluntly :lol: ), you shouldnt contribute code to an opensource project and expect recognition. Its nice when it happens, but no programmer should do something just for the expectation of praise.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
DeletedUser
Fire Beetle

I actually find the changelog irritating I only update it when another developer nags me to :P
Old 06-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Virus11
Discordant

I can imagine the changelog to be irritating, expecially if you test something and it doesn't work, also when you just forget to add it.