Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

As he noted, the adjustments are pretty minor. This works for me:
http://dungeoncrawl.us.to/eq/lootstuff.diff.txt

This is an excellent change overall and it has greatly simplified how I do loot.

Edit: You'll need to add a probability field to the table, I have mine in as a float.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Whoa dude slow down, you expect us to do a slight amount of work? No thanks, Ill just wait until somebody does it for me.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
Whoa dude slow down, you expect us to do a slight amount of work? No thanks, Ill just wait until somebody does it for me.
don't forget the part about bitching about it.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Drajor
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
As he noted, the adjustments are pretty minor. This works for me:
http://dungeoncrawl.us.to/eq/lootstuff.diff.txt

This is an excellent change overall and it has greatly simplified how I do loot.

Edit: You'll need to add a probability field to the table, I have mine in as a float.
Thanks, working for me
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Thanks for that Tabasco, this was going to be my next task after I got the new PEQ forums sorted. Even though it was a minor change, it was a big help to me thanks!

This is committed in Rev 2260.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

thanks Cavedude
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM
ghanja
Dragon

I'm sorry for not following exactly in all this. Has the change been reverted entirely, or is there now chance and probability?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanja View Post
I'm sorry for not following exactly in all this. Has the change been reverted entirely, or is there now chance and probability?
Yes, there is now chance AND probability
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by werebat View Post
I think I figured it out. It has to do with the number of items in the lootdrop. I had 30 items at a chance of 2. So when a kill happens, it was rolling for all 30 items at a 2% chance. Computers do not have a true random like a dice roll, instead it uses an algorithm to simulate the random numbers. So a 2% chance on 30 rolls would mean that 60% of the time you were likely to get a drop. Off 10 kills that is 6 drops which is about what was happening. So I changed the chance to 0.5 and now it is about 1 out of every 6 drops. So it appears your chance should be (desired % drop / # items in drop) to drop properly. I am not sure how low the chance can be set, but if you have a very large number of items in your drop, then it may not be feasible depending on limits. At least thats how its working for me. The old way with probabilty worked fine since there was only one roll made against it. The new system has its merits too so its just a matter of figuring out how to make it work for your purposes. One suggestion would be to randomize the seed before each roll. I may try this when I get a chance but for now the above step seems to working.
I'm having the same problem with something like a 2% chance for 1 of 30 items in list to drop is now having 60% chance of dropping an item. How can this be fixed?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetwarrior View Post
I'm having the same problem with something like a 2% chance for 1 of 30 items in list to drop is now having 60% chance of dropping an item. How can this be fixed?
There is nothing to "fix." If you have 30 items with 2% chance that each will drop, then you have a 60% chance that at least 1 will drop (30*2.) That's basic mathematical probability and how our loot system should have worked from the beginning. But, I'm not going to get into that rant.

Now, to change it to behavior like you need it to you have 2 ways.

First, probability (which I almost considered changing the name to probability_modifier because that is what it really is) is back, so you can set that to control the total drop rate of the group of items.

Next, you can lower the chance of the items. (Remember, the new system now accepts floats so you can have chances below 1%.) This basically is just the drawn out way of doing the above. But from a mathematical standpoint, it is the correct way of doing so.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

I know the new loot system is working on intended, just need to fix coverting properly the old loot to have loot drop rates as intended.

I was thinking that probability was the issue too.

Here is a quick sample:

I'm guessing if I copy the probability from the old loottable_entries to the new loottable_entries then I would see the desired drop rates we had before?

The problem with manually fixing all the drop rates below 1% is 6 years worth of custom content would be a nightmare to fix manually.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

If you intend on using probability, then both probability and chance would need to be changed to what you had in the old system. If you didn't change chance, then yes change probability back to what it was and you'll be good to go.

If you used the script on SVN to convert your tables over, then loot will drop at the same rate it did before. The only exception would be multiple lootdrops using the same chance but different probability would not have been converted properly. If you did convert, I'd suggest restoring from a backup and forget about the conversion process. That was an oversight on my part brought to my attention in this thread. Though, I am assuming you didn't convert, since your rates are off.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

I've restored from backup already and rolled back.

I think some of the loots got updated, and some didn't. Should be able to run probability on 100% for everything since chance should have been updated to usually a decimal number for rare loots.

Will try to re run the script again later.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

If you restored your database back to the way it was before the changes, run these queries to restore your functionality as well:

Code:
update loottable_entries set mindrop = multiplier, droplimit = multiplier, multiplier = 1 where probability = 100;
update loottable_entries set droplimit = 1 where probability != 100;
This will remove multiplier for tables that have a 100% probability (since mindrop/droplimit can now handle that, although you can still use multiplier if you wish using droplimit) and it forces all other lootdrops to only drop 1 item at a time max (unless a multiplier is set, of course) which duplicates the behavior of the old system. Chance and probability no longer needs to be changed since probability is back.

The difference is in the old system, a lootdrop could only drop a single item unless a multiplier was set, but that still was determined by probability. Now in the new system, we can control exactly how many items will or could drop per lootdrop and it can be as many or as few as you need.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM
jasmine88
Pruned

nice info keep it up..........