Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Question EQ - hardcore

Hey Guys,

There is something I've wanted to do for a long time but just now am getting around to attempting it. I'm going to try to create what I call "Everquest Hardcore". Obviously making use of EQEMU and the public databases out there (right now I use PEQ database). To explain further I'll bullet out what I would consider the "features" of this server:

- Severe Death Penalty (Reduced to level 1 when you die)
- Ressurection spells are reduced (35% at level 50, 50% at level 59)
- Progression based (at release will be classic, and expansions will be released later)
- A new item has been created (Divine Talisman) which offers a 100% EXP res which can drop off really hard mobs and/or Raid mobs (1 charge magic/lore)
- Raid mobs will be tuned somewhat (Deathtouch removed, etc) to prevent unfair deaths
- NO DROP removed from all items (a'la Firona vie)
- Considering working out a "Pristine" system where when you loot an item it removes any level requirements for you, but if you trade the item the level requirements comes back.
- EXP rate has been increase 3-4x what it is on LIVE for faster leveling
- Skillups increased 3-4x the rate they are on LIVE

So as of right now, I have modified the server code for the death penalty and it works fine. I've also got a lot of the features already in my server.

My question to you guys is:

Would this be something you'd be interested in? Before I put a lot more effort into doing some of the more tedious tasks I want to know if there would be somewhat of a draw for this.

Obviously the draw here is that there is a lot more at risk when you take a risk whether its pushing your group limits in a dungeon, or pushing your guild limits on a raid. The reward is that hopefully with this server the elite will be few and far between. Sure everyone will continue to progress even after they die, they will keep their equipment and can use that to level quicker the next time, plus with the increased exp rate getting back shouldn't be horrible, but death will be painful.

So what do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
phorest
Sarnak

Some aspects sound pretty neato...
Grinding on a char for a few days to have it die and be level 1 again kinda sucks
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Estrang86
Fire Beetle

I think you should use this system in PVP and make discord.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
sasaluge
Sarnak

yea, bring emu discord server with that ruleset would be pretty tight... but i doubt any progression would get done, a guild whipes to nagafen or something and then what? lol, gg
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 AM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

yeah my thoughts are that with the "Prinstine" system any loot you acquire in your travels you'll be able to use to help you powerlevel back to where you were faster, and with the EXP rate boosted as well between that and using lets say level 40 gear when you're level 1, you could probably get back upto level 40 pretty fast.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Also as I said I would be tuning raid mobs, obvioulsy testing for a while with this ruleset would have to happen, I would want raid mobs to be very challenging, while at the same time some of them are a little insane (IE: it shouldn't take 4-5 wipes to finally kill the mob).
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Also on the PVP (Discord) ruleset, I've thought about that as well, but if I do that it will be a 2nd server (IE: a PVP and a PVE server).
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
sasaluge
Sarnak

its a sweet idea and could work, it would get alot of attention im sure, especially now that vztz is dead... just as far as progression, it would certainly take a while lol
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Also on the PVP server a thought that is floating around would be a way to earn the res talismans through PVP
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
sasaluge
Sarnak

would be alot of fun to see, i know many people would be interested.. people who love eq pvp dont want to see alot of changes in the game mechanics, storyline or zones and such - which has been proven with the popular pvp servers all being classic everquest
Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
sethwon
Fire Beetle

Not that I care about pure casters (int/wis), but wouldn't they be screwed if they were the only to die in a group or raid?

Example:
Cleric gets pounded. That same cleric would have a tough time leveling back up solo. Even with their high end gear, it only provides them with mana. Same with a mage for example.

Just something to consider. A monk, war, etc, who die can solo their way back up far faster than a caster could. (Necro probably excluded).
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Traul
Hill Giant

Don't make it PvP. There's already enough potential problems with such a severe death penalty (LDs, zone crashes, etc.) and adding in PvP is just asking for a world of hurt.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Actually we have decided to change it up here are the proposed changes right now:

Here is the ruleset we are applying to the Everquest Hardcore server:

Current features:

-Progression based server, starting with classic zones and progressing through the expansion.
-Progression rate will be based on the server admins discretion, it will not be after certain raid MOBs die, but rather when raid MOBs die and when the administrators feel its ready to progress.
-Unique PVP ruleset, the release of "hardcore zones", these zones are going to have their EXP rate boosted at least 4-5x the normal rate for the zone, however PVP will be enabled in these zones making them very risky to adventure in.
-PVP death will result in an item being dropped from your corpse (random item, including inventory)
-You can only initiate PVP against people within 9 levels of your level
-All NO DROP flags are gone from items so any item can be lost in PVP as well as traded within the economy
-PVP kills will result in rewarding AA experience (AA experience can only be gained through PVP, and can start being gained at level 1)
-NON-"Hardcore" zones will not have PVP enabled and normal PVE adventuring can occur there
-Upon zoning into a hardcore zone you will be given a 30 second "grace period" in which no PVP actions can be performed on you, once this 30 second grace period is up PVP may begin (or if you initiate a PVP action yourself)
-Once you are in a hardcore zone and you initiate a PVP action, you will be forced into a 5 minute "no zoning" lockout period unless you die, this will prevent people from harassing others and zoning out to safety

Future features Plans:

-"Hardcore" zone games, one example "Ogre ball", where you have to find an item (Ogre ball) in a "Hardcore zone", which will boost your HP and HP regen signficantly within the zone, but if you log out or zone out or die you lose the (Ogre ball), (small example)
-"Hardcore" zone faction based PVP, this will likely happen with the Velious expansion release, at this time the PVP in the "hardcore" zones will be based entirely off your faction, for example, Dragons vs Giants vs Dwarf faction PVP within the zone
-A neutral "Hardcore" city within the world that is "Hardcore" enabled, and has PVP based quests
-Leader boards, Kills vs Death ratio, total AA experience earned, etc.
Bounty system (potentially built within the "Hardcore" neutral city), where you can place bounties on other players and if the player is killed the bounty is rewarded to the player who killed them

This list will continue to grow as ideas and development continues.