Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default Mythic (Testing Phase)

I doubt anyone cares or remembers about my stat-based gameplay, but I rewrote everything from ground up and i'd like to give this new codebase a whirl. (That's where you come in!) The idea is this:
Quote:
- Stat based gameplay. You start at 1 of every stat.

- You start with all your spells at level 1. You only get one line of spell, mind you, but your spells scale to level + stats.

- AAs removed, system will be used as an alternate experience system. You can spend the exp points on gear, stats, etc...

- Your ability to perform in combat is dependent on stats. ie; STR=Melee Damage, STA = raw hp, AGI = ranged/throwing/special attack damage, DEX=Critical Chance and Critical Multiplier (ie; 105% crit will give you 105% multiplier and 100% chance to crit.), INT=spelldamage, WIS=healingamount, CHA=Pet damage + 1/2 of CHA gets added to INT and WIS spell/healing multipliers.

- Your ability to take down NPCs, 1 versus 1 (PC vs NPC), should always be you having an advantage. Solo NPCs should have 1/3rd effectiveness of group NPCs *and* group NPCs should be equal to PCs. This means that to do group content, it should be doable solo, but only one NPC at a time. This allows for group content to give appropriate upgrades as opposed to solo content. Solo content should be soloable regardless of class this way, and group content should be able to be done by a group of players, or a single player that outlevels and outgears the content. This allows for a steady progression with this setup.

- With group NPCs having equal effectiveness as a single PC, I might want to mention that PCs and NPCs follow the same formula. It is dependent on statistics for how good an NPC is, and thus, for the 1/3rd effectiveness it is due to the stats of the NPC, not the actual code. This means a group NPC should, in theory, have the exact same capabilities as a PC to take you down. NPCs get the same spells, they scale, NPC gets ahold of a weapon? It scales. Otherwise it uses the base weapon modifier (100)

- Weapon damage is increased by 100 on all weapons, and weapon damage is now a modifier to your stats. If you have a 104 damage weapon, that's a 4% modifier to your stats.

- Spell damage is now a modifier similar to weapon damage, it increases the % from 100 done by your stat modifiers. A -15 modifier on a damaging spell means you'd be doing 15% more damage on said spell. Spells take longer times to cast than melee weapons take to swing, thus, we account for that by making spell modifiers higher than weapon damage modifiers. I still think this is sort of flawed but it could work. (hint: you are my test dummies for this!)

- Pets inherit 1/3rd their master's HP, and get their stats at a 1:1 ratio.

- Rogue backstab, in an attempt to make it not utterly useless, is just "stab", and does double damage of a normal attack.

- Monk kicks, regardless of the kick, is now double damage. They're just stylized kickings, if you would :P

- No custom content, PEQ scaled to 1/3rd effectiveness based on level for now.
I think that covers everything I changed so far.

If you'd like to log in and help me test it, it'll be up today until I can get it on a friend's hosting, at which point I will move it over there and start testing again.

The server name on the list is "Mythic (Custom Mechanics - Legit) Testing Phase". You can find it on the top of the "Normal" server list.

Hope you guys have fun, I will be on throughout the day observing things that are broken and fixing them.

Also, there may be an actual server that comes out of testing if that's motivating for you :P

~
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

To the few who logged on out of curiosity, delete your characters and log back in, I had a bug where it was sending everyone to tutorial.

edit: should be fixed for reals now. if you get stuck still for whatever reason the wolf will port you.

Last edited by Secrets; 04-24-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

This is a really interesting idea. On my server some people complain about the ultimate uselessness of high stats and I've wondered how best to go about using them in a real way.
I can see simple quest armors with basic stats coming in handy here, or maybe a trainer quest script where you can spend points on permanent stat increases, kind of like diablo.
Buffs would also be valuable here, but I noticed my shaman's dex buff did nothing.

I can see this being nice for the dungeon crawl server I keep neglecting as well, but as usual, I'm full of ideas and short on implementations.

Keep up the good work.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Based on my strength, carry weight is 1. I see that you've removed item weights, at least for what I've looted so far, but coin weight remains. It doesn't take long to become burdened from a relatively tiny bag of pennies.

I haven't found any other issues yet, besides starting in the rear end of qeynos and having long corpse runs. For me, a corpse run can be an exciting part of the game and an incentive to be careful, it's just navigating that hellish maze of a city that's frustrating :P
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
diriel
Fire Beetle

Well... a lvl 2 ballbaring Warrior... interesting so far. Concept is interesting.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

It seems that stat buffs are changed to be different things, like increased spell range instead of stam buff, etc. You need to right-click them to see what they do.

I played for a bit and got to level 5 or so, but then I died, and one run out of South Qeynos is enough for me, so I'm done.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 PM
diriel
Fire Beetle

most of the yard trash is on indiff faction...even the gnolls. fairly simple fix i believe.

Edit: Ok the wolves are threateningly..so not everything is indiff.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Took it down for now. Going to need to make content it seems to make this work. Too many stat-less items :(

When or if it comes back up I will let you guys know.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
diriel
Fire Beetle

I will dive in and give some feedback:

-- Concept is cool.
-- @ level 1 a naked barbarian warrior could walk through yard trash like it was not even there. This took a while however. For the sake of "fluidity" it might be nice to speed up Time To Kill on mobs a bit. Not saying 3 swings and move on!
-- Although I did not play a caster, the one person I talked to in game indicated buffs did not seem to do much. Again, I am not saying go hawg wild and "do it all like live here"... but a custom spells file might be something to look at "requiring" for your server. For others -- You simply back up Spells.us.txt and drop the new file in. No stress no worry, when you are done testing, and wish to go back to what ever you were doing, revert back to your original spells.us.txt file.
-- Spells wise: I think having just a few spells that scale up will work real well. Spells as a time sink / content diversion get to be more annoying than "challenging".
-- Items wise: I admit, I attacked the wolf in the old tutorial :P I was naked the whole time I was tinkering around on your server. Personally, as long as Time to Kill Mob is balanced, and obviously group game play is balanced, I don't really care what kind of stats are on items. HOWEVER It would have been real nice to put some real basic kind of yard trash weapons and armor on the Yard Trash Mobs Not a lot of content, just a little bit here and there. Think of it as "Player Debug Items" hehe

Personally, I look forward to your bringing back this server. I have other ideas for a server if you are interested in that would probably fit in with your general mind set. I will keep an eye on this thread. Oh...easy ideas.. im not into ball busting just for bragging rights

Have a good one sir!

Having thought about it a bit, my feedback was a little short on useful detail.
-- Time to Kill Mob = Obviously if you speed up TTKM, then Experience Per Kill needs to be lowered so where that Level Per Hour is maintained.
-- Mob Balance = When I start a new character of any kind, I like to feel somewhat challenged, but not literally on the edge of my seat. This is one of those "Devil in The Details" things. Your concept was exactly that: A Concept. You said flat out you needed feedback, so you knew "It Was Rough". I am not at all bashing, just stating, so that "we" are for sure on the same page. I personally think something like 3 to 4 mobs in a row, and then "Gotta Rest" whew! would be a reasonable start. Thing is, I really do not want each mob to last a couple minutes a piece, it begins to feel more like button clicking at that point. Now LATER on down the road, when im going up against MUCH Larger mobs, I expect things to take a while, and I expect to feel well challenged over a much longer duration that when I am a naked newb. Just putting the obvious out there with this, please do not be offended, as different Developers have radically differing points of view! I have seen devs state "A few swings or couple spells and move on! Keep it fast paced!", then I have seen devs say " Several minutes per kill right from level 1! Keep it slow paced." and many things in between.
-- Geography: I have a few ideas here. Devil is in the details type of ideas. More than willing to share, but would like to see if you are at all interested first.
-- Loot:
- Lowest loot point = Mob Drops. As for direct use mob drops, keep it simple here. Mob drops should be more about Supplying a combination of Questing & Trade Skilling than about "Most Uber Drop."
- Mid loot point = Basic Quests. "Go get these items, and I will make for you..." and other types of quests that are more or less related.
- High End Loot = A combination of general mob drops, Quest drops off mobs, and Actual Player Trade Skills. Do not force every player to TS, but make TS type players suddenly relevant to the extreme high end. A system that allows for real item customization via augs that are ts / quest combinations might be a nice change of pace. Less Individual Items, and far more flexibility for those relative few. Personally, i do not need to see 3218 "Different" weapons that are all 12/19 with similar stats adds ect.... *YAWN*...a few that i can customize would be nice

--- The biggest thing so many people miss when it comes time to Set Up A Server, is the biggest thing of all is a combination of Attention To Details, AND, The Devil is in The Details. In other words, you really gotta think a combination of small details that "snowball" and Large ideas that Frame It All. Balance for what your vision intends can be quite difficult when you dive into the Trenches.

Last edited by diriel; 04-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
-- Although I did not play a caster, the one person I talked to in game indicated buffs did not seem to do much. Again, I am not saying go hawg wild and "do it all like live here"... but a custom spells file might be something to look at "requiring" for your server.
There is a custom spell file. The link is in the /motd so you see it immediately when you log on.

From what I saw all buffs were redone so they did things other than give stats.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM
diriel
Fire Beetle

ahh my bad, I should have looked more closely at the spells part.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

is this like the edge server?

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Dinggo
Sarnak

You can not create bots, no matter how exotic or random the name you chose you fail the creation because the name is already taken. I even tried a name like "sadlkfndflksdf" and it was taken, I assume this is a bug
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggo View Post
You can not create bots, no matter how exotic or random the name you chose you fail the creation because the name is already taken. I even tried a name like "sadlkfndflksdf" and it was taken, I assume this is a bug
The server isn't up. I am confused on how you even got that far on the bot creation.

Mythic Lair isn't my server... lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Astal
Hill Giant

hey secrets, if you get this working do you play on publicly releasing your custom code?

I think that would be wonderful for a whole new style of servers.

If i had the C++ talent i would 100% do something like this and also add pvp