Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Sanayan
Sarnak

Default Need help starting a new server.

I am trying to start a server from scratch and I am having trouble finding a guide that still work now that EQEmu is switching to cmake.

I know there have been a lot of the same questions, but with the switch I keep getting stuck. I had a server about 3 years ago using minilogin.

I have tried this guide http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CMake but after #10 of "Building with Visual Studio" I am stuck.

Hope someone can give me an idea what to do next, I am running Windows 7 64 with VS2012.

Also I would like to say thanks to everyone who helps put this stuff togeather, we all greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Disorder
Hill Giant

Hey mate,

I ran into this problem a few days ago. You must use cmake now before you build your solution with C++.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CMake

Use that link for Cmake, prior to useing C++. Once you use cmake, and go to C++, you will find the eqemu file inside the build folder. Open that project up and then build it.

The files the guide refers to after it are located in the build/bin folder. Not all files will be the same for some parts of this guide as it is out dated.

I'm new at this, but, until I tried to switch to a solid state drive today, I had my server up and running with no issues. PM me if you have any questions. If I don't know, I'll be honest. I'm new.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Shrabok
Fire Beetle

I managed to setup a server yesterday for the first time, it was fairly easy except for a few hiccups:

Don't use localhost, use 127.0.0.1.
Install the right Perl version, I installed 5.16 which didn't work for me, use 5.12 (32 bit) or 5.14 (64 bit).

Else feel free to ask
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Disorder
Hill Giant

Sanayan,

Sorry for the delayed response to your PM's. Class all day today. Mondays...

I used this guide http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980 as a basic skeleton. Some things are outdated (such as not using Cmake). I meant to reference this in my first response. Sorry for the confusion.

If you have any specific questions as you go along, feel free to ask. I'm sure if I cannot answer, some one can.

Have fun!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
kolamer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrabok View Post
I managed to setup a server yesterday for the first time, it was fairly easy except for a few hiccups:

Don't use localhost, use 127.0.0.1.
Install the right Perl version, I installed 5.16 which didn't work for me, use 5.12 (32 bit) or 5.14 (64 bit).

Else feel free to ask
Which guide did you use to setup your local server?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
Shrabok
Fire Beetle

I used mainly:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980
and cmake info from:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CMake
And somewhere there's a guide for the LoginServer that I can't find right now
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Sanayan
Sarnak

What version of perl should I use? After the build I got 357 errors and 3105 warnings all world and zone related, and 13 succeeded and 2 failed and I think it might be perl related. I have ActivePerl 5.16.2 Build 1602 installed not sure if that helps.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Shrabok
Fire Beetle

I also used VS2012 on a Windows 7, using Perl 5.16 didn't cause any build errors, it only failed on runtime for me.

Could you post some of the build errors?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Sanayan
Sarnak

These are some of the first few errors

Error 1517 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_HTTPReque st.obj world
Error 1518 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\Common.lib(per l_EQDB.obj) world
Error 1519 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\Common.lib(per l_EQDBRes.obj) world
Error 1520 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context referenced in function XS_EQWIO_PRINT D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\EQW.obj world
Error 1521 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\EQWParser.obj world
Error 1522 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_EQLConfig .obj world
Error 1523 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_get_context D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_EQW.obj world
Error 1524 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_sv_2pv_flags D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\Common.lib(per l_EQDB.obj) world
Error 1525 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_sv_2pv_flags referenced in function XS_EQWIO_PRINT D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\EQW.obj world
Error 1526 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_sv_2pv_flags D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_EQLConfig .obj world
Error 1527 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_sv_2pv_flags D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_EQW.obj world
Error 1528 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp_Perl_sv_2pv_flags D:\EQEmu Server 2 test\source\EQEmuServer\build\world\perl_HTTPReque st.obj world
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
kolamer
Sarnak

I decided to completely start over today on trying to setup a server. I followed the guides listed above, and like Sanyan, I am having building errors in C++. I did the CMake steps with no problems at all. When I get to where I have to open the solution and build it is where the problems lay. After I click build it starts to compile everything. When it is done compiling there are 369 errors. They all seem to have something to do with perl (see the error messages that Sanayan posted for examples.

What do now?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

most people who say they are following the guides and have perl errors aren't following the guides, as they generally deal with older versions of perl.

use 5.12.3 for 32 bit operating systems.
use 5.14.2 for 64 bit operating systems.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
kolamer
Sarnak

I do have Perl 5.14.2 installed, but I did notice something. I read in the guide that it needed to install at C:/Perl. When I am looking in C:/ I notice that there is a Perl folder and a Perl64 folder. The bulk of the Perl install went to Perl64. Could this be a reason that I am having issues when compiling in C++? (Keep in mind I did the CMake stuff already and had no issues with that).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

i neglected to ask. what are you compiling with? from what i understand, the express versions of visual studio are only able to build 32bit versions of the emulator. you'll need 2010 professional and up for 64bit versions.

additionally, the 32bit versions should all work fine, regardless if your operating system is 64bit. you'l just need to make sure you're using the 32bit versions of perl and mysql as well, i believe.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Shrabok
Fire Beetle

There's a setting in Cmake that needs to point to where Perl is installed, I believe you can see it if you click the checkboxes: Grouped, Advanced
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
kolamer
Sarnak

I am compiling with Visual Studio Express 2012.

Shrabok - I went back into CMake and clicked on each of those options and manually set the Perl locations to the perl64 folder since that seems to be where the bulk of Perk was installed too.