Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Baruuk
Sarnak

Question New Guy with a Few Questions

Hey guys -

I'm an EQ vet and I've often considered starting my own EQEMU server. I enjoy customization and some coding. I've spent about an hour viewing posts here but need clarification on a few simple questions, if you don't mind. My apologies in advance if I'm repeating others' posts, and thank you in advance for your help.

I'd like to start a server. However I understand that the latest EQ patch (7/14) breaks EMU from what I'm reading. (I understand a few folks have it running on a beta version of the server). Should I start a 6.0 release (or some earlier release) server and find some way to back-patch my client from the CD install (without 7/14 patch) or do I just wait for a full release of the 6.2 DR0 server? I wasn't sure how long that usually takes. I'm able to use the basic functions of Visual Studio .NET from a compiler standpoint - but that's about it. I'd like to start a server whenever possible.

Thanks in advance.

Baruuk
Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Baruuk
Sarnak

35 views and not 1 reply? /cry
Old 08-02-2005, 04:54 AM
mwmdragon
Discordant

Default reply

Talk about back patching is kinda a no no.

However the best way to solve you server wanting questions is to wait for the next release and then back up your working eqemu files to another folder or even *Gasp* a DVD for future use. I have a DVD of a working file set for every release since 4.3 so i can mess around with any version of server I want in the future.

Looks like it a waiting game now

NeverQuest
http://neverquest.gotdns.com
Emucade
http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 AM
LeftRoad
Sarnak

Yeah, most of what you asked is hidden around here somewhere, but I'm at work and bored so I figured I'd rather waste time here than doing anything for "them".

When the Emu is broke you are stuck, unless you have the older (unpatched with Live) files. Which version of the Emu you use is dictated by when you last patched with Live. I don't recall seeing a list of what works with what but you can probably use the release dates of the Emu versus the Live patch. Once you have a working Emu do not patch with Live until the Emu has caught up. Best way to do this is to have 2 folders; one containing your Live EQ (if you want to still play on Live) and the other your currently working Emu files.

How long does it take to get the Emu working with Live? It depends. The Devs work until they draw blood (and sometimes longer) to fix what Sony broke for them. It's a constant battle of good vs. evil. Sony makes it as difficult as possible for the Devs to keep the Emu working. It would be nice if the Devs did a code freeze to a certain patch/expansion and spent time fixing what was already in the game. But how they work and what their priorities are is their call, and they are doing a great job with a monstrous endeavor so I'll wait.

The compiling adventure? Well, that's more fun than a train when you have low health and a half-zone run. Grab some release code and go at it. There are a bunch of things you have to setup and configure in order to get it compiled. And once compiled you'll need the right files as said above in order to test it all. From what I understand of the process you'll be spending some quality time tweaking settings until you get all the pieces of the puzzle in the right places before you'll see a successful compile. Some people are lucky, most are challenged. You won't know until you dive in and see what happens, by then maybe the Emu will be Live compatible and ready to rock and roll.

Good luck...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:21 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmdragon

I have a DVD of a working file set for every release since 4.3

Looks like it a waiting game now

thats impressive...not many can say that.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 08-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Baruuk
Sarnak

Thanks guys. I'll make a copy of the files I have now (from 7/14 patch) and wait til EQEMU catches up and then never patch again until instructed.