Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
wheeljack
Fire Beetle

Default Send mail programmatically?

I'm looking for a way to send an in game mail from within the zone's codebase. One example of a use for this would be to send those "Congrats on leveling up" emails like they do on live.

I *think* that the way mail works is that the client makes an additional connection to the chat server instead of it being handled by the zone server or the world server. I'm also not seeing a relationship available between the zone server and the chat server so I'm guessing that this kind of message forging is uncharted territory, but I'd love to be wrong on this one and have somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

One way you could do this (and I am going to guess this is how live does it too) is send mails from the PC to the PC when they level up. An easy way to do this would be sending some sort of opcode to the UCS that the client normally does when a player levels up. Depending on the set level, they would get a different mail. I think loading these messages would best be done from the database when a player levels up.

Hope that helps. And if there is nothing that client sends already listed, you could always fake a client connecting and sending that mail by constructing a packet for it, or look into how messages are sent from server <-> server. (follow servertalk.h's opcodes)