Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 PM
cultar85
Fire Beetle

Default Playing EQEmu without buying Titanium or new expansion(s)?

Okay forgive me because I realize this topic probably has been brought up before but all I really want to play is the original classic EverQuest.

Kunark? I loved Kunark, if I actually play that long I guess I could do Kunark again.
Velious? Yea, it was a good expansion too, but I really dont need it.
Luclin? NO THANKS! I quit shortly after Luclin and dont have many fond memories of that expansion.

and ALL of these??

The Planes of Power (October 2002)
The Legacy of Ykesha (February 2003)
Lost Dungeons of Norrath (September 2003)
Gates of Discord (February 2004)
Omens of War (September 2004)
Dragons of Norrath (February 2005)
Depths of Darkhollow (September 2005)
Prophecy of Ro (February 2006)
The Serpent's Spine (September 2006)
The Buried Sea (February 2007)
Secrets of Faydwer (November 2007)
Seeds of Destruction (October 200[13]
Announced:Underfoot[3] (December 2009)[14]

no interest at all.

Im not interested in any expansions, i could even play without Kunark or Velious.

Im good with this:

So is there anyway for a guy in my situation to just play an EQemu without buying Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer who JUST wants to experience pre-expansion EQ?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultar85 View Post
Okay forgive me because I realize this topic probably has been brought up before but all I really want to play is the original classic EverQuest.

Kunark? I loved Kunark, if I actually play that long I guess I could do Kunark again.
Velious? Yea, it was a good expansion too, but I really dont need it.
Luclin? NO THANKS! I quit shortly after Luclin and dont have many fond memories of that expansion.

and ALL of these??

The Planes of Power (October 2002)
The Legacy of Ykesha (February 2003)
Lost Dungeons of Norrath (September 2003)
Gates of Discord (February 2004)
Omens of War (September 2004)
Dragons of Norrath (February 2005)
Depths of Darkhollow (September 2005)
Prophecy of Ro (February 2006)
The Serpent's Spine (September 2006)
The Buried Sea (February 2007)
Secrets of Faydwer (November 2007)
Seeds of Destruction (October 200[13]
Announced:Underfoot[3] (December 2009)[14]

no interest at all.

Im not interested in any expansions, i could even play without Kunark or Velious.

Im good with this:

So is there anyway for a guy in my situation to just play an EQemu without buying Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer who JUST wants to experience pre-expansion EQ?
No. Short answer.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
cultar85
Fire Beetle

Alright so it looks like ill have to buy Titanium.

But other then that theres no cost or fees?

Why on earth would SEQ want this happening?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

We are not in any way affiliated with SEQ (I assume it means Sony), so we really have no idea why SEQ would want this =)

PS. And Luclin was best expansion ever =P They finally got rid of those but ugly last century models
Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Kullaili
Fire Beetle

Ok I have Platinum rize of kunark and the first everquest cd if i wanted to could thous work on it??
Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kullaili View Post
Ok I have Platinum rize of kunark and the first everquest cd if i wanted to could thous work on it??
No.

You need SoF or Titanium. Go get them.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
eqemuross
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
We are not in any way affiliated with SEQ (I assume it means Sony), so we really have no idea why SEQ would want this =)

PS. And Luclin was best expansion ever =P They finally got rid of those but ugly last century models
You might be the only person I've ever seen that liked the Luclin graphics. They were/are terrible!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

They introduced luclin graphics and decided that having additional textured/models player characters is not worth their time, you realize since luclin's release in 2001 they have not upgraded character armor graphics once? Just a dye update with loy?

At least with original graphics you had the velious textures, I would have entirely preferred them to keep the "but ugly last century models" and introduce a lot more textures so identifying what you were wearing was easier. Though, I play with old models anyways, I see no point to increase rendering costs just for those terribly animated generic looking luclin models :<

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqemuross View Post
You might be the only person I've ever seen that liked the Luclin graphics. They were/are terrible!
I only know a hand full of people who like pre-L models =P
They simply obsolite =P
And yes I played from 1999 too, and old graphics has always been EQ weakest point back in a day. Unreal Tournament which was released in 97 had better models. EQ1 HAD to be made which such crappy models because it was the only way to get around insane Video/CPU/Ram requirement to display 20-50 such models on the screen at once. Once better hardware become available to players they immediately took steps to improve the graphics. You can see a steady pattern- how much Kunark zones and texture is a massive improvement over old world, the velious is about same as kunark, and finally Luclin is a significant giant step forward. The next big upgrade was with GoD+ zones, they finally did away with rectangular hill edges and bulky square zone layouts.

Personally the only new models I really don't like are those made with DoDH expansion - the new orcs and werewolves have ULTRA cartonish - ala warcraft look.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
They introduced luclin graphics and decided that having additional textured/models player characters is not worth their time, you realize since luclin's release in 2001 they have not upgraded character armor graphics once? Just a dye update with loy?

At least with original graphics you had the velious textures, I would have entirely preferred them to keep the "but ugly last century models" and introduce a lot more textures so identifying what you were wearing was easier. Though, I play with old models anyways, I see no point to increase rendering costs just for those terribly animated generic looking luclin models :<

so they didn't give you the new armors - so its SOE what did you expect?
But whats the point of blaming breath taking Luclin graphic engine =P
The engine is not guilty that SOE underutilized it.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
FatMagic
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultar85 View Post
Alright so it looks like ill have to buy Titanium.

But other then that theres no cost or fees?

Why on earth would SEQ want this happening?
Cultar - to help you out, and answer your questions.

1) Yes - you need to buy the Titanium client or SOF client. If you want to play CLASSIC EVERQUEST then get the Titanium client, it works better on the P99 servers.

2) You want to play the OLD original Everquest. The closest you will get to that currently is on the Project 1999 servers (aka P99 - http://www.project1999.org). It currently only has the original EQ, no Kunark and no Velious yet. The furthest this server will progress will be Velious in the future. But for now, it's just the original EQ. You can learn how to get setup for P99 here --> http://project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40 <-- FOLLOW THAT GUIDE EXACTLY! If you skip any steps, you will have problems guaranteed. First of course, you NEED the Titanium client.

3) EQEmu or P99 is not affiliated w/ SEQ or SOE or anything. Totally stand alone.

I think that will help you.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 AM
corun
Fire Beetle

I gotta agree with eqemuross. Luclin models were/are absolutely horrible.
They have no soul, the move like sticks, and are very unproportional.

Except for the fact that the old models have less detail the old ones are better in every aspect in my opinion. I could identify with the old models. The Luclin ones are just abominations. It's one of the things that made me quit EQ because I knew most people would see me in that awful luclin form.

And it is a thing that keeps me away from putting time into a EQemu server.
Someone please make a server where old models are mandatory
Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 PM
cothbot2
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
I only know a hand full of people who like pre-L models =P
They simply obsolite =P
Perhaps you are trolling, if so, I bit. Most everyone I know hate Luclin models. An attempt at more realism plus a long stick shoved in the ass != better.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Linophryne
Fire Beetle

turn the models off.