Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
harddisk
Fire Beetle

Default the voice of the eqemu community

I wondered if all the questions that are asked on this forum, it would be interesting to talk directly with a system such as teamspeak ... people could effectively get answers and there would surely great discussions on the world eqemu .... what do you think?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

I personally hate team speak. The UI of it makes me sick and I prefer Ventrilo but it would be cool to have a voice channel for everyone to join into.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
harddisk
Fire Beetle

I do not know ventrilo and I just saw that there was a version 3 of teamspeak .... course, the aim is to discuss the program can be whatever you want
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

My apologies. I didn't realize how that came off. I would like the idea if it were in Ventrilo. It is a cool idea though HD!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
harddisk
Fire Beetle

Pending further review I'll go look and see ventrilo differences with teamspeak
Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
trevius
Developer

It isn't a bad idea, but I don't think it would have the results you might want. Most likely, if we had a common ventrillo server to make use of, people would just use it for playing on their own particular servers and divide up into rooms for groups/raids. If you want a way to communicate with people here other than posting or IRC, the best alternative is using our IRC. Unfortunately, not many people actually make use of it. And, even the ones that do may not always be so helpful. Plus, if you are looking for a quicker response, the IRC is normally not a great way to go. Most of the time, someone will ask a question and if they stay on long enough, they will probably get an answer (could be hours later). Normally, people join and ask a question and then log off again after waiting like 5 minutes without an answer :P

If/when you actually catch someone on IRC to help out, it can be quite useful. I know Secrets has answered quite a few questions there, and I have had a few long chats with people there. It all really depends on what times you are on to chat for who you might get a response from. Though, you can always slap Rogean with a large trout and probably get his attention :P

I think most of the people you might want to speak with would probably not be willing to join a voice chat server. Responding to a question a few hours later can work ok on IRC, since you see the old text messages, but that wouldn't work at all on voice chat, lol. Unless it was really popular and had many knowledgeable people joining it and answering questions frequently, I don't think it would be worth-while. Maybe someday, if our community ever grows to 10X what it is now.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
pfyon
Discordant

As with every other time someone has suggested using voice chat related to gaming to me, I'll answer "Frankly, I don't want to hear any of you talking".

If we can get mediawiki up and going, I think we could have a fairly accurate and up to date wiki to answer most questions. As far as I know, the current wiki doesn't integrate with the forums and as such, I haven't bothered creating a new account just to update articles.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
harddisk
Fire Beetle

I actually thought that the purpose of this voice chanel would only discuss the program and not to prepare a raid or to make an appointment to pok
Able to discuss directly with the community .... In fact, as the forum but with a little more interactivity
in fact I do not really speak to me because I do not speak English well and I thank google translate for the rest .... But this might be a little more for the community
Thank you for your ideas and comments
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
trevius
Developer

I agree with Pfyon. And, don't even get me started on MediaWiki! Rogean has already setup a test MediaWiki install and was even able to integrate the login for it with the forum login so you can go right from here to the wiki and start editing without having to setup an account there. There has also been a script posted a while back (which I have saved), that can convert most of the wakka wiki stuff right to MediaWiki. I think Rogean just needs to try out that script and get the stuff copied over that can be copied and then we can take it from there and clean up where needed. I believe the main thing Rogean was holding off on the MediaWiki for was he wanted it to match the look of the forums. IMO, even the plain white MediaWiki would be better than our purple/green/orange combo one now. And the template for the wiki can be changed at any time with little to no effect on the content. I am sure he has his hands full with P1999 and all, but hopefully there will be time to invest into finishing the overhaul of this site that started last year. I must say that the updates/changes he has done so far are great, though. It is all just a matter of time, I am sure.

And to harddisk; I am sure you would intend for a voice chat server to be for the discussion of EQEmu code/script/development, but I just don't think that is what would happen. People would join it to get help, but no one would be there to answer and so they wouldn't bother using it anymore. You would need at least a few knowledgeable people on there throughout the day for it to be useful, and I don't think most people want to play phone tech support all day every day :P Again though, it is a good idea in concept, but I think in reality it wouldn't work out for most people that might want to use it.

If you want to discuss EQEmu stuff, I do suggest visiting #eqemu in the IRC server. Just make sure that you don't give up right away if you don't get an immediate response. If you connect in there regularly enough, you are bound to get to chat to multiple people that are worth talking with. Just try not to talk to skynet, or we will all laugh when you do :P
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 AM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

<Richardo> sup skynet
<Skynet> he just looted my bp...
<Richardo> .....