Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Default Out of ideas

I am perplexed on this one. I love difficult problems but I am running out of ideas on where to look, maybe someone will have some ideas where else I can look.

Basically you never get to the character screen, never even see the loading bar. Crash log....

Code:
[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00043:WorldAuthenticate: Initiating Login.
[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00044:WorldAuthenticate.  I got a message of type 0x5b0b (23307).
[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00045:WorldAuthenticate.  I got a message of type 0x6f79 (28537).
[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00046:WorldRPServer message: server name Legacy of FrostStone

[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00047:WorldAuthenticate.  I got a message of type 0x86c7 (34503).
[Wed May 20 08:12:13 2015]00048:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
These are the conditions.

Only happens on underfoot, Titanium and ROF2 do not do this.
Seems to happen on creation of 5th character, but not always? Makes no sense but that is what happens.
Deleting 5th character solves it
Adding 6th character manually solves it
Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM
provocating
Demi-God

To further add to the strangeness of this issue. If I move the 5th character to another account, like my admin account then both accounts are fine. When I move that character back to the original account it crashes.

If I leave the newly added character to the admin account but then create a new character on the crashing account, it appears fine. I have checked all starting items, they all exist. The spawn location for the character definitely exist, since it only happens on Underfoot that is another oddity. I have seen one or two post here from searching that hint at the same problem but no one ever reported back that they figured it out, I definitely will report back the resolution.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM
NatedogEZ
Developer

The only time I see this is if there is a corrupt character on the account.. i still have no idea how the corrupt character comes into existence, except for crashing while creating a new character and then that account is now bugged till the character is removed.. or they log in with RoF2 (the character wont be bugged on this client)

But not sure how to replicate the client crash upon character create though :(
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Well at least it is not my imagination. I am going to keep looking into it, because it is not just any character that does it. So it is almost like it is the starting city, bind location, something like that.

I would say that is would just be a fluke, but I created a 5th character while I was playing and noticed the crash for me. Since we only have 5 players while in Beta for LoF I need to get this resolved.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:41 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Well a human cleric did not do it as the 5th character, but a barbarian rogue did make it crash. I think this has to do with character create combinations. Since I have been working for a while getting original character start set, this is probably on me screwing something up. I will check to make sure all my ducks in a row.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:24 AM
Drajor
Developer

Dump and diff every OP_SendCharInfo payload if you have not already.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Drajor can you explain that in a little more detail?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Drajor
Developer

Sure! Add a call to FileDumpPacketHex at the end of the UF encoder for OP_SendCharInfo (here). Collect a good send (where there are 4 characters or less), then collect a bad send (on creation of the 5th character). Use a program like winmerge to have a look at the differences in what is being sent.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drajor View Post
Sure! Add a call to FileDumpPacketHex at the end of the UF encoder for OP_SendCharInfo (here). Collect a good send (where there are 4 characters or less), then collect a bad send (on creation of the 5th character). Use a program like winmerge to have a look at the differences in what is being sent.
Beautiful, pretty sure I understand that so I will give it a shot.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Uleat
Developer

If you do a barbarian rogue in the 6th slot, does it still work as normal or do you crash?

Also, is the crash an actual server crash? If so, please post the server crash log.

There's a LOT of packet data that is set based on observed packets collected during the client's active cycle.

It could be that we're limiting things without knowing..but, it would take some digging to figure out if that's the case and
what needs to be done.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I have spent some time on the problem, but not as much as I liked. This is what I have found recently. This also happens on the latest source.

I can create the exact same Male Barbarian Rogue, same starting location and diety, same facial features and depending on the name, depends on if it crashes or not. The server never crashes, just the client. Now get this if on this persons account I have 5 characters and create this 6th character with a name I know will crash, nothing happens. If I delete any character so that named character is now the 5th, the client crashes.

So temporarily we have a dummy character on his account so he can play with this new Rogue called Bingham. This is the strangest thing I have seen on one of my servers yet. I have run into strange problems but not one I could not pinpoint what is causing it. So I have to figure it out, I love a problem like this.

So far names that caused it

Bingham
Binghan
Chronos

I am not sure how the name is related but if I create a character with a name of Zalbat, Tester no crashes. Maybe a sorting issue? A lower alphabet name would fall to the top. That is all I thought of so far. Maybe it is coincidence? I still have a lot of testing to do. Depending on what goes on this weekend, I may have time to spend on it.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Uleat
Developer

I sent you a PM on this..let me know privately if that case is true since it's exploitable.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 PM
Uleat
Developer

Can you post some of the UF packet dumps, provocating?

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I will try to Friday.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:27 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I pm'd both of you directly about the packet dump.

This is what I have found by trial and error. It has nothing to do with class, race, diety etc. I was incorrect in my assumption it was. It has to do with the naming of the characters and possibly what that does to the size of the packet.

When I add the 5th character if it is 7 characters, the UF client crashes. If I rename it with one less letter with HeidiSQL no crash. Then if I add a letter to any other character on the account it crashes.

So as a theory I did the exact same thing on my GM account. I made 5 dummy characters with the exact same lengths of names each. Instant crash.

How is that for an odd one?

I just tried it on both of my servers, which have a slightly different code base. I also updated my test server with the latest source, same exact thing.