Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bots

Development::Bots Forum for bots.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
What's in your logs? Surely you are getting some errors in your logs that would explain this. When this happens to me, and it does sometimes, it's usually related to db changes I have made, haven't made, or something foolish I've done to my start up script, like leaving eqlaunch out of it(done that).
I'll take a look at those when I get home. But all I did was replace the existing files in the EQEMU folder with the ones in the binary folder. I didn't overwrite the original files, but placed them in a temp folder. I have since overwritten the new files with the older ones, and the game works again. No #bot commands, but it works as it used to.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congdar View Post
as I make custom entries into the database, i also write them to my_custom.sql
I'm curious about this... if you're making changes within game, and with different tools, how do you get that code out into text so it can be added easily later? This is the biggest reason that I don't do a lot of edits... I know they will be lost when I update.

Also, my bots are not working at all and I am using the latest source. I get command not recognized when I try #bot help
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Congdar
Developer

I don't add customizations to the database and then try and get them out, I create the custom sql file manually, and at the same time as I add the changes to the database. Then after a database update I can just source in the custom sql and I'm back to where I was.

The bot issue can be several things. Are you using 1129 or the SVN version? With 1129 you need to add EQBOTS to the Zone pre-processor in Visual Studio, if SVN then the Configuation Manager has a separate bot setting you can choose for debug or release binaries. If you are compiling in linux, search the eqoffline thread for linux answers.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
I don't add customizations to the database and then try and get them out, I create the custom sql file manually, and at the same time as I add the changes to the database. Then after a database update I can just source in the custom sql and I'm back to where I was.

The bot issue can be several things. Are you using 1129 or the SVN version? With 1129 you need to add EQBOTS to the Zone pre-processor in Visual Studio, if SVN then the Configuation Manager has a separate bot setting you can choose for debug or release binaries. If you are compiling in linux, search the eqoffline thread for linux answers.
Ok, I guess I missunderstood... I thought that the release thread had a working source that didn't need any editing. I'll look around for what needs to be changed, thank you
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Congdar
Developer

The release thread source doesn't need editing. It should work right away unless you try merging it in to an existing source tree. Verify the EQBOTS setting in the preprocesser options of the Zone section.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Oh yeah, I'm using Debian Linux also.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Congdar
Developer

there's some linux instructions for adding bots to the compile in that 800+ post thread.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:46 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
there's some linux instructions for adding bots to the compile in that 800+ post thread.
Yeah, each time I start looking through that thread I end up fustrated and tired I'll pack a lunch for my next trip!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Congdar
Developer

I looked... linux stuff is on one of the last 3 pages depending on your settings for how many posts to view.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

These are mine, should work for you
/zone makefiles for both Linux and Windows
I think the only ones that change (for Bots) are the /source/zone ones - or at least thats what I change. just copy them over and rename .
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
Can anyone post an example of such a sql script that I might be able to use as a template of sorts? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Quote:
Yeah, each time I start looking through that thread I end up fustrated and tired I'll pack a lunch for my next trip!
I read through that entire thread once. If I ever do it again (not bloodly likely, but not hypothetically impossible); I'll give a brief summary of what happens from each post set, then post it somewhere. If someone does decide to do so, I'd suggest they make such a "content summary" for future people having this trouble.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

The bots are at a point now where you only need download from the SVN and play.
Windows executables are already pre-made and posted. And usually, who ever runs a Linux server will know how to arrange the makefiles.
If someone will tell me this works, maybe I can come up with a script you can run before you compile so you can select 'bots' or 'no bots'. Or maybe someone else wants to do this, maybe place it in the SVN. I was thinking of a Linux and Windows version.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
The bots are at a point now where you only need download from the SVN and play.
Windows executables are already pre-made and posted. And usually, who ever runs a Linux server will know how to arrange the makefiles.
If someone will tell me this works, maybe I can come up with a script you can run before you compile so you can select 'bots' or 'no bots'. Or maybe someone else wants to do this, maybe place it in the SVN. I was thinking of a Linux and Windows version.
I think bots have been generaly excepted and would benefit most servers. Wouldn't it be easier to just impliment it across the board, and then go in after and raise the status needed to run the bot commands in the database? That way everyone will have working bots if they want it, with little work, and if they don't they can change the command access.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
AndMetal
Developer

I think the logic is that, because not everyone is going to run bots (although they are quite awesome), it's better to use a preprocessor definition during compile than a rule, since it will decrease a lot of the required resources (memory/processor cycles) if you're not using it.

My Contributions to the Wiki