Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Sourdough35
Hill Giant

Default What does this thing do?

Ok, so I know what the emulator is and what it does. What I'm wondering about is how the decision to stick with Titanium will effect the project and the community. It would seem to me that the most obvious development would be an easier time for the developers, who no longer have to worry about updating the emulator to stay current with live servers. Does this mean they can now start to focus on the more detail oriented aspects of the project? Bug fixes, feature implementation, etc? Does this mean that at some point in the near future or next few years we might actually see a completely working EQ server emulator?

And what about the community? The Titanium freeze seems to be something the community should rally behind as well. While I am aware that at some point it will become difficult to get copies of the Titanium client and this is a source of complaint regarding the choice, keep in mind that it is far more difficult, not to mention illegal, for people to obtain copies of the backpatched client. This means that no matter how long they have to spend on ebay, as long as the devs stick with titanium, there will always be some legal, plausible, means of getting ones hands on the client.

To me, this decision heralds the beginning of a new time for the project. It seems like for the first time, a huge roadblack has been removed and not much other than time and effort stands between the developers and a finished project. In the future, of course there will be more expansions and more compilations (lest we forget evolution, platinum, and the current titanium...) But it seems to me that the people in this community stopped caring about the content in the game after the first few expansion packs. We might as well stop and focus on developing the client emulator at a point where the client already has a full 10 expansion packs out. I can't imagine anyone here will be clamoring for updated compatibility as still more expansions are released. What we have with Titanium is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of content waiting to be developed for, which I think is reason enough to stick with it indefinitely, if not permanently.

In short, what I wondering here is if I am right or not.

1 - Does freezing the client at Titanium really allow the developers to focus on actually completing a static goal rather than chasing the ever changing Eqlive one? Could we actually see a complete emulator in a few years?

2 - Won't the community have a better chance to flourish now than ever? Many years down the line, we can still get copies of Evolution off ebay... i'm sure it will be the same or better for Titanium.

3 - Are the devs truly planning to stick permanently with Titanium? It seems like a fantastic idea. I hope everything I've mentioned here comes to pass. Great job on the project, guys.