Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
noudess
Discordant

Default Going to try and be more formal/up-to-date and sumbit more

I think its time for me to go from goofing around status to actually getting a fork from Git, building and staying current.

I'm going to buy a new machine and put Ubuntu 14.04 on it and set up a new server and dev tools from GIT.

Any tips from the gurus or shall I just push my way through it again?

When I make custom changes that you all don't want, can I add as #ifdefs or as a rule and keep the fils current via pull request or will I need to keep my own source control for that stuff?

I made changes to the way LDons work, fear code, blind code, spell stacking ,etc that you may or may not want.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 PM
joligario
Developer

If it is live-like contributions, submit a pull request. No ifdefs for your custom code - ignore on commit.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM
noudess
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joligario View Post
If it is live-like contributions, submit a pull request. No ifdefs for your custom code - ignore on commit.
What about making some custom stuff RULES based? I assume not all the RULES based stuff is identical to live?

I'm not sure how to quantify some stuff. For example, in the version of eqemu I have (old) the speed at which mobs ran and when they ran was way too slow compared to live.. But who's to say what is exactly right? That's opinion. I assume you guys have a couple of guys that decide what is and what is not good?

Another example. LDoNs were way too easy IMO (compared to live). I added scaling code based on total party levels. (within easy/hard boundaries).

That's all way ahead of where I'm at now. I just want to know the basic process and who decides what so I can not waste anyone's time.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM
joligario
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noudess View Post
For example, in the version of eqemu I have (old) the speed at which mobs ran and when they ran was way too slow compared to live.. But who's to say what is exactly right? That's opinion. I assume you guys have a couple of guys that decide what is and what is not good?
Which is why it is database driven. Yes, most of the stuff which can't be extracted from packet collecting was guessed. Most things educated, some things outright random.

Quote:
Another example. LDoNs were way too easy IMO (compared to live). I added scaling code based on total party levels. (within easy/hard boundaries).
Again, database driven. The scaling was mostly guessed.

If you can control custom content through the database, you won't need custom code or you can create rule-based customization (as you pointed out). But we don't need every developer creating their own rules in the core. I'm sure you will find a happy medium.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
noudess
Discordant

Makes sense. We'll play each case by ear. It'll be awhile before I'm setup, and then I'll review each case as I find my changes and look to apply.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 AM
vsab
Discordant

Great to see a new person on board. I would highly recommend getting a ZNC bouncer account (someone on the board may have one to give) so you can hang out in the dev IRC and catch up with what's going on even when offline for a while. Lots of great advice in there, and they can help you answer those kinds of questions there and then.

If you have got some code (not database) changes that deviate from live, what you could do is create a fork from the main EQEmu source into which you add the more "vanilla" changes. Then create a separate branch off that for your more custom code.

You can them merge changes from the main project to your main fork to keep up to date, and if you want those changes reflected in the more "custom" part then you can merge changes up to that branch too. The key here is that you would never merge changes from your "custom" branch to any of the others.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
noudess
Discordant

Thanks vsab. Great info and advice. I can't wait for my new server hardware to arrive. What I dread is the process of trying to get my server code matched up again, and getting what I can and cannot merge straightened out. See you in chat!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
noudess
Discordant

I'm still waiting on parts for my new dev system. Quick question about eqemu direction. You're going for live-like. Does that mean the latest code will do things like show exact faction hits, spells being cast by NPCs, etc. Or is that stuff going to be rule based?

I know for sure I don't want my server dumbed down like live it going. Maybe I might need to maintain significant differences from eqemu core as this happens?
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 PM
noudess
Discordant

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on whom you ask, I won a new embedded software contract and started work Mon so I'll be less active in the short term than I had hoped. I am still hopeful that I can resolve many of my local changes with the team and get as many into core as possible.

I did a pull request today for my code with blinding effects on mobs to start the process.

I do hope to be able to contribute more as time goes on and my new contract demands less of my time.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
show exact faction hits
That specifically requires a change in the clients eqstr_us.txt file, which all our current clients don't have (although copying from live could work, but I wouldn't support that personally) If we get a newer client we can simply send the extra data if they connect with that client, so not something for now.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 PM
noudess
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
That specifically requires a change in the clients eqstr_us.txt file, which all our current clients don't have (although copying from live could work, but I wouldn't support that personally) If we get a newer client we can simply send the extra data if they connect with that client, so not something for now.
I;m glad actually. I'm not a fan of how they want to expose everything now.