Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 PM
pepsi_cola
Sarnak

Talking Tutorial Zone: Reconstructed

I'm glad to say that I have managed to reconstruct the tutorial zones on my server. I'm quite surprised that no one else has done so; or maybe they have, but has not shared it with the community. The quest scripting is fairly simple to me, now that I know more about Perl.

One thing that I was trying to do was to create custom dialogboxes with text; kind of like the ones used for the story line. If you look in the eq directory, you will see a folder named storyline. Perhaps another folder similar to that of the storyline could be added to the EqEmu folder where you can place custom content in the text file that you could use to enhance some of the quests in the game.

Has anyone been able to populate the quest journal or other journals? I would like to be able to share ideas with others here, and maybe we can make something happen.

For example, there is a write function that you can use to create a text file and write text to from within the game. Perhaps the dev team could add a read function that would work the other way around and place text into a dialog box. Just a thought...
Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

The storyline files are patched in by the EQ patcher. If your server wants to do custom storylines, they will need to create text files in whatever format the storyline system is expecting, then distribute them to their users to be placed in the "storyline" subfolder.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:29 AM
pepsi_cola
Sarnak

I knew about that one. But what about the custom window that pops up that is not a storyline, for example the quest journal, or the window that pops up on the tutorial zone on the live servers?

I was using the storyline one as an example. Perhaps something can be done to the windows?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:43 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

The chat journaling system they put in a while back is purely client-side and simply logs a record of any NPC's chat while it is turned on. If they introduced a true quest journal that mimics the behavior of DAoC and EQ2, then it is a very new feature and I wouldn't expect it to be supported at this time.

The pop-up windows that come up in the tutorial haven't really been looked at. There is probably an opcode instructing those windows to come up, but we may or may not have it figured out right now. They might have also hard-coded some behavior into the client so that if it's in tutoriala, it needs to bring those windows up as it observes certain things happening, and if that's the case then there's nothing we can do with those windows except let them be exactly what they are in the tutoriala zone.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.