Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
t_u_suavo
Fire Beetle

Default Triple Attack in Titanium client (Skillname: None)

I'm running a small private server on a Windows platform, and have been working to modify it and the clients which connect to it for a few months. Clients are using Titanium with the understanding that it is well and truly out of "support", due to preferences for the more old-school feel, etc.

I've sorted through a variety of nuances that the older client represents, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to work around this one:

I noticed that mid level melee characters were getting skill up messages for "You got better at None! (20)", that sort of thing. Through trial and error, I isolated the skill in question to Skill 76, Triple Attack, which did not exist in the Titanium days. Fair enough. Testing seems to show that it works and allows triple hits though, so while I could simply remove Skill 76 from all classes server side and be done with it, I'd prefer to make it work in general, if for no other reason than to increase my knowledge of client/server interaction.

Again, through trial and error, I identified the entry in the eqstr_us.txt file that was being called for that 'None' name, which is line 692. Easy fix, I just changed that to 'Triple Attack'. Trouble is, that 'None' value is used all over the place, so users keep finding references to Triple Attack in unusual spots like item class/race restrictions. Not exactly ideal...

What I cannot figure out is a way to change what line in that file Skill 76 is pointing at. Other skills seem to point to a range of IDs in the 13900s, but not in any meaningful order, and nowhere in the server files or database have I been able to locate where those pointers actually exist. How does the skill Tailoring know to look at line 13918 in eqstr_us.txt to get its name? Pointing Skill 76 to a new line number should do the trick, just no clue how to do that.

Has anyone tried to get Triple Attack to show up normally in a Titanium client, or failing that, has anyone ever modified Skills to point at different references in eqstr_us.txt for any reason? Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Skill string IDs are hardcoded in the client.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Uleat
Developer

"None" is a fall-through result, as demonstar55 intimated.

Changing that 'None' will cause all sorts of issues in respect to client-based info fields, as well as messages.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM
t_u_suavo
Fire Beetle

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. It does explain why I couldn't find any references to those IDs at least!

I'll chalk it up to another price paid for clinging to the older client and encourage them to read 'None' as 'Triple Attack'. So it goes.

Thank you for your time, loving the project in general and learning more than I bargained for in the process!