Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 05-13-2008, 02:44 AM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

Default Budding Progger

so ive finally decided to do something with my whining and really try and teach myself C++ to help out the community. i have started trolling various guides and tuts about the subject and installed C++ 2005 ect and got the source... i guess my main question would be wheres a good place to start? i don't fully understand how you have the source structured and i must say its a bit intimidating so i guess any advice would be great thanks again and here i go head first
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
nosfentora
Discordant

My $.02, as a self taught VB.Netter, would be to start with a few really simple projects, the obvious 'hello world' project, etc. Then, like you said, just jump in and get wet, trial and error. One of the most useful tools in .NET 2005 is the debugger! Breakpoints and the immediate window are invaluable when you're trying to figure out how something works, or why it doesn't! Set a breakpoint (F9, or click the grey border at the left edge of the code screen) at the entry of the source, then step through the source line by line (F. Thats usually how i figure out how something works if I can't understand the source by looking at it (or why it doesn't work like I thought it should).

Some useful resources are google (believe it or not), experts-exchange.com, codeguru.com, codeproject.com, msdn.microsoft.com