Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

Default eqgame.exe encounted an error

Hey. I did a quick scan of threads, so if this has been answered, sorry for another post.

I played on eqemu about 4 years ago, and just decided to try it again. I have the same Titanium folder from back then, unpatched from what I believe - even if it was patched, would it be compatible with all the time that's gone by?

I set up the shortcut, modified it, and ran it. I get to the login, enter my station name and password, screen goes dark, then I get an error.

AppName: eqgame.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 38393935

That's all the info I gathered on it. Anyone see that before/know what's causing it? If there's any more data I can gather about it, does anyone have any information on how to go about it?

Thanks in advance,
-D
Old 10-13-2011, 03:09 AM
trevius
Developer

You can verify that your client is compatible with EQEmu by checking the wiki here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ClientVersions

You can also check the FAQ in my sig for troubleshooting suggestions. Your issue is most likely related to resolution issues, so check that part of the FAQ first.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

Thanks Trev. Incompatible. Will let you know once I install SoF if it works.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

With SoF installed, I get to the character selection screen, but am unable to enter the world, it just freezes up once I click the button.

I'm running it on a p4 1.6, with 384 ram...I was thinking it might be a ram issue, but I have over 2gb allotted for a paging file. Old motherboard, so I haven't gotten a chance to upgrade the ram without ordering it...I'm going to see if I can copy the whole game folder and put it on my laptop to see if there's any difference.

In the options menu, I deselected a lot to decrease memory consumption, and then at the character select screen got an error - failed to reset device.

Any suggestions? Also, is there a way to edit a post so I don't have to post twice in a row?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 AM
trevius
Developer

The reset device() error is a fairly common issue on SoF and can be caused by random crashes even when playing normally. It is related to the video card, and most commonly happens when adjusting the screen size I think, but can also happen at other times. The SoF client is really the least stable of any EQEmu client, but it should still be playable. Your RAM is really low, but as long as you can start EQ and log into the server select screen, you should most likely have a good enough system to also get in game.

You may also still have resolution issues which are addressed in the FAQ.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

Default Got past that error

Now I'm having an issue going between the character select screen and the world.

I have this issue on the desktop with the specifications I listed earlier, and my laptop with a dual core 1.4 gig cpu, with about a gig of ram. Each comp has a paging file with 4gb allotted for it (not sure if it matters).

Updated the drivers on both. Sometimes the laptop will play the game, but only when plugged in with an ethernet cable, I haven't gotten past char. select on wireless. Desktop is plugged in, and haven't gotten past char. select, but that's progress from the game crashing like it was.

Desktop is xp home edition, laptop is vista. With the laptop, I did the dual core/vista(xp) compatability stuff last night, and it helped tremendously, but now I'm having issues when it's wirless. Laptop is buggy and usually crashed when I alt+enter or alt+tab.

I got the tcp optimizer, and just did the optimal settings, haven't done anything custom. My average ping time was around 104 ms for the desktop, 113 ms for the laptop.

Thanks in advance, you're good with this stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

Default I wish I could edit posts...

With the laptop plugged in - no problems running one box.
Alt+enter before server select and I didn't have a problem dual boxing to server select...but I had a problem connecting. Locked up, closed one box and the other was disconnected.

I'm enjoying giving feedback, and hope it's helping on your end.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 AM
trevius
Developer

I don't know if you mentioned which server you are trying to play on, but you may want to see if you have the same issue on a few other servers as well. If you are trying to play on P99, they limit you to 1 account at a time per IP, which would explain why you might be having issues trying to get 2 connected at once (if I am following your issue correctly).
Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

Was playing on PEQ Grand Creation.

I was having no issue dual boxing off a laptop with windows 7, running wireless.
At the same time I had a char on my laptop, hard wired, running decent.

Any further suggestions on what I should be looking into/playing with?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 AM
trevius
Developer

My best suggestion at this point would probably be to try getting the SoD or UF client instead of using SoF. The SoF client does work, but as I mentioned, it is the least stable client we have available. It can run decent most of the time once you get the right settings all figured out. The SoD and later clients have better multi-core CPU support and are considerably more stable. If you still have the same issues on a newer client, the problem may be something on your network. If you are running torrents or peer to peer programs, and/or security software like firewalls or Norton or something, you might try disabling those or turning them off and see if it helps at all.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Dark^Wizard
Fire Beetle

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of SoD...but I have a feeling that may be tricky.

Not running p2p or bt, already disabled security services/firewall.

I ran it fine on the dual core laptop with the ethernet cable plugged in for a few hours, at least.

As for the desktop, do you think I may have a better chance of getting it to run with a copy of titanium?

I understand where you're coming from about SoF being unstable, I usually get everything working with my 2nd run of the client.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 AM
trevius
Developer

Titanium would be worth a try, as it is more stable than SoF, but it is an older client that still doesn't have very good support for newer hardware.

Does it make any difference if you reboot your PC just before trying to start EQ? I am not really sure why you would have troubles only some of the time. That would make me think you either have connection issues, or are still having some multi-core CPU issues. Could be your wireless connection isn't too good, I guess. Also, some laptops require special CPU drivers to work properly with EQEmu, but I don't know many details about that.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Evol^Einherjar
Fire Beetle

Default same guy different name

Interesting regarding those special cpu drivers.

I'll only play after a fresh reboot so that my memory is in good working order, so yes that does help. One thing I've noticed, is to load the game to char. select screen, then quit and reboot the client, then log in fully. Odd but it works better. The wireless connection might suck for the computer I'm running it off, but it works great with the windows 7 laptop.

I found another issue with a different computer - I got the blue screen of death twice when I move past the server select screen. I'm going to see what happens this third time.

If it gets too annoying I'll just have to suck it up and buy UF one day.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Evol^Einherjar
Fire Beetle

Default Fixed

All issues fixed when switched to Titanium.

Thanks for all your help Trev.