Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 AM
donaldcanard
Sarnak

Yes, thank you for the update.

Now I can show my wife that it is not my fault that we can not get to the server.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
If anybody remembers, when we were moved to a different building they ran into several various (and oddly random) problems that prevented us from coming back up. One of the which was the AC in the new building was messed up, causing the machines to overheat. We (PEQ) had thought that they have since corrected that, but apparently not. The last time we went down was due to PEQ overheating, and I assume this time is the same issue. Last time I spoke with FNW he says he was told we aren't alone, and that many of the servers in the new building are having similar issues. Real good for business, eh?

The solution is real simple, FNW has to contact our ISP and request a reboot. But, he is currently away (not sure whether it is business or for the holidays) so that is the reason for the delay. Hopefully, he and I can also come up with a plan to prevent downtime like this in the future when he does come back.

So, just hold tight.
The AC problem probably stems from the fact that normal AC units aren't menat to run in colder weather (which I'm assuming the building is currently located in an area that is colder right now) my uncle does some HVAC and the normal AC units run on freon which is used for the cooling, and freon's natural tendency is to go towards the colder air despite all the pumps and everything trying to make the unit work, so my guess is the AC units aren't working for that reason, or something, I don't really know how to fix that issue but yeah :P
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
brdian
Fire Beetle

if its hosted in a legit datacenter it shouldn't matter, datacenter hvacs are designed to work 24/7/365.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Giren
Fire Beetle

Whether it's a datacenter or a hobo's garage. PEQ will be back eventually.

It's like fishing. Gotta wait until they walk up to you, then take your pick and club one over the head. Haul it up onto your shoulders fireman carry and hope you don't inhale any of it's royal jelly.

Profit.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
tlbww
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giren View Post
Whether it's a datacenter or a hobo's garage. PEQ will be back eventually.

It's like fishing. Gotta wait until they walk up to you, then take your pick and club one over the head. Haul it up onto your shoulders fireman carry and hope you don't inhale any of it's royal jelly.

Profit.
What the hell are you talking about? That made less "cents" than an ugly hooker working on a corner by Red Cross.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

I don't see how hookers and Red Cross makes anymore sense either. :(
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
renoofturks1
Sarnak

It's Giren, I expect such things....
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
tlbww
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeormom View Post
I don't see how hookers and Red Cross makes anymore sense either. :(
Don't worry. That was a joke for the old timers.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

I appreciated the hilarity value of both analogies.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
tlbww
Fire Beetle

Ringing in the new year w/o PEQ is a horrible start. Let's hope left4dead replaces the void in my heart.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Giren
Fire Beetle

Fallout 3 and Scars of Amerous is filling my time at the moment.

Poopie.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Kilalee
Fire Beetle

Wow, I've tried all kinda of EQ servers since PEQ has been down but I cant find any that I like as much.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Kilalee
Fire Beetle

Keeping my fingers crossed it will come back up soon!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Itchybottom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbww View Post
Ringing in the new year w/o PEQ is a horrible start. Let's hope left4dead replaces the void in my heart.
But Left4Dead lacks Reno and Flabby to harass. . .

I don't mean to stir the pot (if I am); I have to wonder [a question directed at cavedude or FatherNitWit], is the BIOS set to shut down the machine when it reaches a temperature zone on the processor or chipset? Or is it the case it literally get so hot it hard locks?

Discussing the former, these Pentium4-class machines operate at pretty extreme temperatures, and perhaps the BIOS setting needs to be updated. Pentium4 (Northwood and Prescott, not sure about the older Willamette core) are rated all the way up to 75C and 65C operating temperatures. Intel chipsets from that era (865, 875, 850, E7210) are rated between 65c-80c, while SiS chipset (645, 655) are rated for 110c (who needs a heater when you have a SiS P4!) I can vouch for this in testing: I've got a 3GHz Prescott still on my network running fanless with a 0.16cw rated heatsink, and a single 120mm (but 28cfm) exhaust in the power supply, that lives permanently in a 28c room (second bedroom, only one A/C vent unblocked, otherwise no air flow. it's full of folding machines) that hasn't skipped a beat since late 2004. Hard drives are also fault tolerant up to 40-55c. PC2700-PC3200 runs all the way up to 60c in some cases, and not that it matters, but some rambus modules go even higher. MOST ATX consumer-class power supplies are also usually rated at 75c with all of the rails loaded.

Either way, I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this datacenter (or office, or whatever it is) is heating up so much it's shutting you down. To me, this situation is unconceivable unless a human is hitting the emergency shut off switch for the grid or your server hardware is simply failing.

The only other thought I have is those hot-as-hell rack mounted APC and TrippLite units somehow pooping out. I've burned myself on those shiny APC Symmetra LX pieces of... but I've never seen them shut down due to heat. I have however seen CAT5E skin melt all over a TrippLite 3U unit, short out, put on a dazzling array of black/dark gray smoke, accompanied by a high-pitched noise with a few sparks, a loud bang, then proceed blow all of the line conditioners in the building before we could get the power off to that rack and a class C extinguisher in there. But I'm sure that doesn't apply here. RIGHT?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchybottom View Post
But Left4Dead lacks Reno and Flabby to harass. . .

I don't mean to stir the pot (if I am); I have to wonder [a question directed at cavedude or FatherNitWit], is the BIOS set to shut down the machine when it reaches a temperature zone on the processor or chipset? Or is it the case it literally get so hot it hard locks?

Discussing the former, these Pentium4-class machines operate at pretty extreme temperatures, and perhaps the BIOS setting needs to be updated. Pentium4 (Northwood and Prescott, not sure about the older Willamette core) are rated all the way up to 75C and 65C operating temperatures. Intel chipsets from that era (865, 875, 850, E7210) are rated between 65c-80c, while SiS chipset (645, 655) are rated for 110c (who needs a heater when you have a SiS P4!) I can vouch for this in testing: I've got a 3GHz Prescott still on my network running fanless with a 0.16cw rated heatsink, and a single 120mm (but 28cfm) exhaust in the power supply, that lives permanently in a 28c room (second bedroom, only one A/C vent unblocked, otherwise no air flow. it's full of folding machines) that hasn't skipped a beat since late 2004. Hard drives are also fault tolerant up to 40-55c. PC2700-PC3200 runs all the way up to 60c in some cases, and not that it matters, but some rambus modules go even higher. MOST ATX consumer-class power supplies are also usually rated at 75c with all of the rails loaded.

Either way, I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this datacenter (or office, or whatever it is) is heating up so much it's shutting you down. To me, this situation is unconceivable unless a human is hitting the emergency shut off switch for the grid or your server hardware is simply failing.

The only other thought I have is those hot-as-hell rack mounted APC and TrippLite units somehow pooping out. I've burned myself on those shiny APC Symmetra LX pieces of... but I've never seen them shut down due to heat. I have however seen CAT5E skin melt all over a TrippLite 3U unit, short out, put on a dazzling array of black/dark gray smoke, accompanied by a high-pitched noise with a few sparks, a loud bang, then proceed blow all of the line conditioners in the building before we could get the power off to that rack and a class C extinguisher in there. But I'm sure that doesn't apply here. RIGHT?
I don't have details, but I do know we are getting kernel core dumps due to excessive heat. I'm hoping the machine will then shuts itself off to prevent damage. But, I don't know if it does or not.

As for how it happens, it's part of a server farm with a malfunctioning (or possibly even non-functioning) AC system... Heatsinks and fans merely dissipate heat, they don't magically make it disappear. That heat has to go somewhere, and it will begin filling the room. That's where the AC comes in. Its job isn't really to keep the room cool, but rather to replace the hot air dissipated by the servers with cool (or at least cooler) air. If the AC is not functioning that room will become hot as hell (I speak from personal experience) and the internal temps of the servers will skyrocket since they will no longer be able to dissipate any heat, since there will be no place to dissipate it to

I have 6 personal machines that when put in the same closed room raises the air temperature at least 5 degrees in the winter time. (Granted, it is a small room) Still, if 10 machines can do that, imagine what a couple hundred can do!
Closed Thread