Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokey98 View Post
in general, should people make use of the search feature or google before asking mundane questions? sure, i have no problem agreeing with that. however, we are all lazy on occasion.
The only reason I am responding to this, is so others might hear me out as well.

Yes, we've all been lazy, me included and sometimes the search feature on this
site is not so accurate. I was in the same position way back when I was learning
to set up a server, searching, googling, asking annoying questions on here and
even having some people getting frustrated with me, because I didn't search
hard enough.
I don't have a problem answering support questions which are specific to my
server, even in regards to how things are played, if different from other servers.
THOSE support questions that are specific to The Lockjaw, should be directed
towards the website or in game.

BUT, sorry, when it comes to guiding someone on how to play EQ in general,
the answer is NO, I am not prepared to take the time to do that.
When someone is unintentionally asking annoying questions, I have a crapload
of patience. But when my better judgement tells me it's deliberate ?

You have been disconnected ..........
Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Okay you are going to have to explain this some more.

Is there some standard way to do bots across EMU's I missed? The servers that had these in the past had some kind of NPC to explain things, or instructions on the server site about it.

And why do say "mercs?" I hailed the two Vah Shir mercenary liaisons outside the bank, no response to hails. Are they the same thing as bots? You have to create them at the command line as it were?

And how many can you have? A bot army like some other servers?

If you can this server is definitely not for me. I know you ultimately wind up soloing most of the time on any emu, but we all know what servers with the guys that run 35 bots wind up like in the long run. Totally different game than... anything really.
It is just a right click, much like a merchant would be. There are tiers, this is probably a better explanation though.

http://almarsguides.com/eq/general/mercenaries.cfm
Old 12-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

The GRINCH is up to something in the PoK and he's looking for someone to help.
He's in a VERY generous mood for the holiday season.

Just finished adding player pets for levels 71+ and bumped up bot runspeed.

See the website for all current updates, info and more.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 PM
TaichoTarpit
Fire Beetle

Hi from the peanut gallery. I sincerely appreciate you guys that set up the eqemu servers for people to have fun on. I see now that my issue when using RoF2 and not being able to get to the proper GL zone is not just my issue. Hope a universal fix for it comes out soon. I love RoF2 for many reasons. Thanks again for all the work you guys do for the community.
Taicho Tarpit aka Thorin the Cleric (Halls Havoc)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Lockjaw with guild lobby?

weird.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Grinch leaves the PoK tomorrow night at midnight.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Try it on Chronicles of Norrath, I am pretty sure I fixed that a long time ago. If it works there I will share my changes.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Uleat
Developer

Lemme look at this tonight...

I can do code and db updates..but, I don't have access to the quest repo (though I can post changes to any files that need to be updated.)

I worked on this when RoF was first integrated..but, I'm not sure if anyone has touched it since.

There is a difference in certain data..but, I'm not familiar enough with the code to know how it affects it:

[zones_by_id (build Sep 7 2007).txt]
Code:
Long Name: "The Guild Lobby"
Short Name: "guildlobby"
ID: 344
Expansion: "EverQuest" (0)
Unknown Data: |1:push    0||2:push    0||3:push    0|
Push 4: 20000004h
Push 5: 17E0h
[zones_by_id (build Dec 10 2012).txt]
Code:
Long Name: "The Guild Lobby"
Short Name: "guildlobby"
ID: 344
Expansion: "EverQuest" (0)
Unknown Data: |1:push    0||2:push    0||3:push    0|
Push 4: 20000024h
Push 5: 17E0h
(I don't have the RoF2 data handy..but, I imagine it's the same as the 'Dec 10 2012' one - RoF)

EDIT: The 'May 27 2015' client is the same as RoF..so, RoF2 'should' be the same.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 PM
kokey98
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
I won't be able to fix all the zoning issues with the rof2 on my server, because of the
way I set it up. Any of the old zones that were revamped, I reverted any of them that
I could back to the old versions for zoning. (zone points, doors, ports, spells,etc).
The main reason I did that because if a Titanium client groups with a UF client and they
want to got to (for example) Toxxulia, by default, the titanium would boot in to old version
and the UF in to new version, so they wouldn't be in the same zone.
But now thats an issue for the rof2, because that player I mentioned can't zone in to
the old tox with the rof2 client. But I'm determined to keep the old zones, hahahaha
can we just rename some files and copy over old zones from older clients?

it's not important if new or old, i just don't want to have to swap between clients. i've grown quite fond of clickies in bags. hard to give up.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
i've grown quite fond of clickies in bags. hard to give up.
Well, sit right back and I'll tell you a tale, a tale of a tiny ship ......(it's more than a 3 hour tour)

I grew quite fond of EQ Live 2004 and don't want to give up. I will admit, I made some bad
decisions when I made this server public, which I have already regretted, because it has
caused some disappointment with some players when I explain the priorities and goals of
the server. I can only apologize for unintentional human error.

This may sound selfish,(because it probably is), but this whole server project, including all
the game mechanics, everything about it, is being done for the way Huppy wants to enjoy
it all when he plays it. (eventually) Haha. I honestly didn't expect ALL the various player
feedback that I have received. Some suggestions, I agreed with, others I didn't but if I made
all the changes/additions to the server that players want me to, in the end, Huppy would
not enjoy the server. But I am definately enjoying everything that goes along with growing in
to all the work involved with developing this server. Since I became disabled, I have nothing
but time on my hands to soak in to this project.
Yes, I could of just simply kept the server private on my lan, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to
post it public now, (instead of later), while I work on it. I have been graced with the great
help of some players letting me know about bugs, etc., which I am very grateful for. So I
DO feel bad, when I have to disappoint those same players in some of their suggestions.

I try to accomodate everyone with as much as I can, without taking away from the goals
of the server. It didn't take long for me to become aware that there is many players out
there, looking for something more, or different from what they have encountered so far in
a server. Although the Lockjaw will be something different, it won't necessarily be within
everyone's preferences. Just as an example, P99 is something different, but as we all
know, it is a Titanium client server set in an era for that kind of server, so it would obviously
not support the rof2 client which has features such as "in bag clickies".

This is where my BIGGEST mistake was made, in wanting to support all clients and still
maintain the goals I have for the server. But I admit, at the time, I didn't have a copy of the
RoF2 client and I didn't know about some of the features that players may very well like.
I realize that the whole concept of having the rof2 client compatible with the eqemu was a
good thing, considering the download was free, so it allowed people who didn't have a client
to get one (legally).
In the future, I would love to work towards making the rof2 client compatible with (this)
server's goals (being bug free), but it's going to be last on the list of priorities, for now.

From the beginning, I have stated "Its a work in progress". How players interpreted that,
may have been a mistake on my part for not fully elaborating on it. I am not perfect.
But here is the best way I can describe the end goals of The Lockjaw server:
OoW was released in 2004 and that will be as far as this server will go when it gets there.
ALL of the game play, game mechanics, etc., everything about the way EQ live was back
when OoW come out, this server will get as close as it can to becoming a carbon copy of
that era. KEEP IN MIND, this has nothing to do with trying to provide a server that has
something different than other servers can, will, or do offer, this is solely based on what
Huppy wants in his own kind of server.
A few years ago, when I first chose the name "Lockjaw", it had a lot to with when I played
on live. One of my favourite zones was the Oasis of Marr and experiences with that named
mob Lockjaw. This was long before OoW came out, but enjoyed the game all the way to
it. Lately, I got to thinking, I should of just named this server for the OoW era.
When I do get it to where I want it, all zones past the OoW expansion will be closed off.
The ONLY custom features will be to simulate player help that one could get on live back
then. (NPC's to give out buffs, bots to group with, etc.) But as for features that were NOT
available on EQ Live back when OoW came out, they will not exist on The Lockjaw.

Yes, people wonder, with my goals, why things are in place right now, like max lvl 85, etc.
My intentions with things like that, again, I apologize for not elaborating on it at the start,
BUT, it was only meant as a novelty for players to monkey around past lvl 70 in zones and
incomplete content that is not supported. I knew that some players would be "zooming"
up to level 70, then looking for something to do, so for now, they have that option. That's
the only reason for it and is not meant to imply anything permanent.
Some players indicate, because of their personal lives, they don't have the time to "grind"
the experience in a live-like game play. I can respect that, but I don't understand it.
Does one wake up and say "I only have one week to play EQ" ? Then they have to quit ?
So then they zoom zoom up to max level in that week and thats it. Thats all they had time
for in playing EQ. Thats how I interpret their implication anyways. It's player preference.
Back when I played on live, there was a period where I only had 2 hours a week total to
play the game. I just did what I could in that 2 hours, and kept going. Years later, I am
still in the game.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
kokey98
Hill Giant

none of this is meant for a reply. if it is new info, maybe it helps for the future, maybe it doesn't.

whether you do it one way or another isn't that important from my perspective. i have no preference except for a few things. most of the trouble with rof2 has been alleviated.. the d/l from live before it was patched didn't have some 'commons' files. copying them from UF client fixed that.

the only issues i see with rof2, which could still be human error on this end, is #bot gate commons and what you mentioned about not getting into toxx.

that's really all i was wondering aobut... what i can do on this end to make that client as functional as possible.

i even tried copying toxx files from a client that worked on your server. maybe i didn't get them all.. i noticed one had toxxula(#1-3).txt while the other just had toxx.txt... so each client pointed to a different file for that info?

eveyone plays differently within the rules of a server. i think your asking for perpetual frustration if you concern yourself with players on your servers game habits, beyond breaking any rules.

from my point of view, i can't understand why anyone lags at lower levels, but i don't hold them to my perspective of the game. they merely look at things differently.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
none of this is meant for a reply. if it is new info, maybe it helps for the future, maybe it doesn't.

whether you do it one way or another isn't that important from my perspective. i have no preference except for a few things. most of the trouble with rof2 has been alleviated.. the d/l from live before it was patched didn't have some 'commons' files. copying them from UF client fixed that.

the only issues i see with rof2, which could still be human error on this end, is #bot gate commons and what you mentioned about not getting into toxx.

that's really all i was wondering aobut... what i can do on this end to make that client as functional as possible.

i even tried copying toxx files from a client that worked on your server. maybe i didn't get them all.. i noticed one had toxxula(#1-3).txt while the other just had toxx.txt... so each client pointed to a different file for that info?
Oh I definately didn't write a book as a reply. I was just in the mood for babbling, hahaha
In reference to those "toxx" files you were copying, just to clarify, the short file name for
the toxxulia used on my server is the old short name "tox". The new one is "toxxulia".

My initial intentions with that whole "old zone" reboot, were to make it possible for all
clients to zone in to the same versions. (titanium through to rof2). Even myself, when I
have done some testing, I logged on my GM toon on UF and a regular toon on Titanium,
both of them zoning in to misty. I know some people probably love the progression of the
graphics that come with the revamps, but myself, I'm one of those "like to hold on to old
things", kind of person. I would rather drive an old 76 Ford, than the plastic dinky toy
I have now, hahaha
Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Default Loading Boss Instance Quest on The Lockjaw

Well, as the new year has come, we start off with a new new instance quest.
Level 55-70 Solo with bots/mercs.
Please visit the website for details on the Quests Page. Starts at midnight tonight (cst)
HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone !
Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I added a "player update" page to the website, just to show player achievements, etc. as I know of them.
Its starts with Cyclu, the first to complete the new Loading Boss quest and Kokey, the first to complete
the Epic 1.0 in his class on the server.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Have several more informative pages on the website now. I would encourage players to read through
them. I'm able to keep the "updated information" current on the main page, (give or take an hour).
Any support questions, not already answered on the website, please direct them either ingame or
through the website. HENCE: NOT HERE Thank You.
Just a QUICK EDIT here: If I am not ingame, the quickest way to get my attention is through the
contact form on website. It sends your message to my phone, within minutes.