Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 AM
KLS
Administrator

We're not exactly ready to talk much about it but atm we're working on a Lua parser for EQEmu.

Though we're not requiring LuaJIT just Lua 5.1 and people can use LuaJIT if they choose (I do).
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Davood
Discordant

ok so like ive been mia for a while.. this isnt really a thread necro since last post was a month ago.

question:
I noticed in the changelog the following disturbing note:
Now generally the perl system is now considered deprecated (in favor of lua in the long term) I felt this was too big a change to pass up adding when I got it working.

is this official then? Do i need to learn lua? I liked perl+mysql because I could have offline tools to interact with the db server, and I don't wanna learn new tricks.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 AM
KLS
Administrator

Deprecated doesn't mean you can't use it if that's what works for you. It's not being removed it's just not going to get the same kind of attention Lua does.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

This is an unrelated lua project. MySQL is still used, and will be for sometime (I just think it would be cool if we had support for multiple DBs, but I don't think anyone is working on that for now)
Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Karayrem
Sarnak

Since Oracles takeover of Sun, they now owns MySQL which probably will end up being proprietary to some degree. Some of sun developers had left and branch out MySQL into MariaDB.

Perhaps we can take a look at including MariaDB as another database to use with EQEmu.

https://mariadb.org/
Old 07-13-2013, 03:27 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

MariaDB should theoretically just work. There is a lot of reorganization and cleaning up that would be needed to be done to make multiple DBs work nicely.