Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::Server Discussion

Archive::Server Discussion Archive area for Server Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Default World of Alkora (aka EQA)

Hello,

In the last 3 weeks, lots of persons pm'ed me to get news about "Everquest Anthology", asking if project was dead because forum was down, server is no more on eqemu server list.

"Everquest Anthology" project isnt dead, but was under a major revamp during those last 4 weeks, we moved all services (website, forum, irc, loginserver ...) to a new host, and revamped our forums, websites. The other big change is now the project is called "World of Alkora", maybe some of you remember a project with the same name made by Nemo some years ago (At the start of EQEmu). But we dont take only the name back, "World of Alkora" will now get its own original lore, this is a major change to "World of Alkora" project, its no more related to EverQuest lore in any points, making it a new and original lore to explore.

Other major change in "World of Alkora" is it will introduce a new way to play MMO, where team cooperation, exploration, are the keywords. "World of Alkora" is a world with kingdoms, empire, republics, federations, scattered on it, each countries have its rules (Some kingdoms forbid magic, other summoned pets, other technologic, ...), play systems that players will have to deal with it, all players will starts in the same kingdom, and players will have to quests, get involved in Alkora lore to delock kingdoms and be able to pass frontiers. More informations about this system will be posted on "World of Alkora" soon.

"World of Alkora" server is still online, but no more on EQEmu loginserver, "World of Alkora" use its own loginserver, totally independant from EQEmu. When project will be more advanced, read the game basis will be integred, VIP access will be given, and VIP will be allowed to log into the "World of Alkora" server to test what is being work, but this will take some more time.

The objective of "World of Alkora" project is nor more, nor less, to take eqemu out of eq, to show eqemu potential, allowing players to play 35 class, from commoner to hero, exploring totally new zones, in a few words, play a new game, for free.

This bring another question, when "World of Alkora" will start to be playable ? Im sorry to say this, but there is no real ETA, our first objective is to release the first kingdom (Republic of Vniss) as soon as possible, to show players what the game will be, to show game mechanics, but there are so much work to do that it make impossible to give an ETA.
This is where you can help, we need C++ coders and 3D graphists, if you fit in one of those two categories, and you always dreamed to build your RPG, feel free to PM me.

Forum : www.worldofalkora.com/forum

Old 09-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

BIG GRATZ to KhaN and his talented team!!!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:53 PM
KhaN
Dragon

*blush*
*giggles*
*KhaN, scorpius2k padawan return to its job*

Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Very cool. Can't wait to see it

BTW, I think this would be a perfect example of a case where an OpenEQ-specific server would be in your best interest hehe.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 09-19-2004, 06:02 AM
fnemo
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeken_bb

BTW, I think this would be a perfect example of a case where an OpenEQ-specific server would be in your best interest hehe.
That's why we are waiting for your baby
Old 09-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Nice looking server. Good luck with it.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:47 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeken_bb

That's why we are waiting for your baby
Well, the gestation period for such a birth is pretty long...
Hopefully we'll see some multiplayer action soon

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 09-19-2004, 02:17 PM
gayfag~
Banned

Quote:
team cooperation, exploration, are the keywords.
how do you bring team cooperation into the game? how do you bring exploration into the game? just wondering.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:48 PM
killspree
Dragon

Bringing exploration into a game is simple: promote it by rewarding players for exploring. Rewards can be a multitude of things, depending on what they discover. Obviously that may not be the design goals for World of Alkora since I'm not on the team, but it's one example.

Teamwork can be promoted in the ways mentioned above as well. Reward players for working together(I'm almost certain what KhaN means by teamwork is players working together to acheive a goal - not necessarily 'grouping'. A good example of rewarding teamwork is the FFXI skillchain/magic burst system where players are rewarded with the opportunity to do additional damage based on the weapon skills they choose to use in tandem.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:19 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
how do you bring team cooperation into the game? how do you bring exploration into the game? just wondering.
This would need a large discussion, but the way you play on World of Alkora was totally changed to enforce this this team cooperation and exploration.
For exploration, as brievly explained in my first post, the world if segmented in kingdoms, players will need to get involved in the lore of one kingdom to delock the kingdoms next to its frontier. You wont be able to run from a major city (capital), to another, like it was possible to do in EQ (Freeport to Qeynos). Each kingdoms have its own architecture, infrastructure, rules, and players will need to explore a lot. There are a lots of other thing favorating exploration, best is to read informations on world of alkora forum.
As for teamwork, Killspree explained it, Kingdoms Geopolitic in World of Alkora is very important and peoples involved in it will be rewared for it (not always items), a ritual system is also planned, allowing casters to work together, this is just an example on how to favorite teamwork.

Quote:

You cant wait to play on WoA, i cant wait to use OpenEQ :p

Old 09-20-2004, 01:39 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
You wont be able to run from a major city (capital), to another, like it was possible to do in EQ (Freeport to Qeynos).
uhm. isn't that HINDERING exploration, not promotiing it?

What exactly are you trying to do it seems like the opposite of what you are explaining. So you are going to close off certain zones and not allow people to roam freely unless they unlock the paths via quest? Or what?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 AM
KhaN
Dragon

I dont think you can pass Mexican Frontier freely, you got my point. Also, i dont think zones like the karanas where 80% of the zones is totally useless can be assimilated to exploration. Exploration isnt only playing Indianna Jones in Innothule Swamps and roam in the zone, its exploring the story beind it, the population, religions, you perception of the word "exploration" is too restricte, stop think EQ-Way~

Old 09-20-2004, 02:05 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

It sounds all interesting in "theory" but i don't think the eq engine can successfully pull off a "new" way to explore. Perhaps elaborate more on the DETAILS of the system because it just doesn't seem feasible, but i may just not be understanding.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:30 AM
killspree
Dragon

I think he means you'll need to explore the content to advance through zones, not just run through to get to the next area.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Not really a way to stop that. Once the areas been explored once they are just going to run to the way that gets them through it. and tell their friends so they dont have to waste the time figuring it out. =p