Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 AM
dew1960
Sarnak

Default So you wanna build your own windows server?

Well, I understand that, so did I! Just Sayin!!!

There are lots of outdated Windows server guides on the forums, my favorite is: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980 - posted by Huppy. It is good and it was accurate at the time of the posting but there are some things to be aware of. Some of these are in the guide but often overlooked and some are not in the guide. Just Sayin!

Compiling source - Be careful to not use source that is more recent than the latest peqdb revision and vice versa or they won't work together. Just Sayin!

Compiling - There are 6 projects in the solution now, but don't let that worry you. Just Sayin!

Xampp 1.7.3 comes with Perl 5.10 which you can't really find anywhere else. You can also use active perl 5.12 with VS 2008 or Active Perl 5.14 with VS 2010 when compiling. My preference is the Perl 5.12 Just Sayin!

Whichever version of Perl you go with , you need to do the PPM INSTALL DBI and PPM Install IO-stringy, as in the guide. and RESTART your PC! Just Sayin!

If you use active perl 5.12 to a find/replace on the solution to find perl510.lib and replace with perl512.lib. There were 2 occurances of this last time I compiled, Just Sayin!

Use the Zlib file that is included with the source not the one linked in the guide to sourceforge, Just Sayin!

Be sure to get the eqtime.cfg from the peqdb svn and put in the server folder. Just Sayin!

Make sure when you compile you have the VC++ directories linked correctly as in below, Just Sayin!

INCLUDE:

C:\mysql\include
C:\perl\lib\CORE
C:\zlib\include

LIBRARY:
C:\mysql\lib\opt
C:\perl\lib\CORE
C:\zlib\lib

Also when you get the zlib files from the source and put them at c:\zlib, copy one file called ZLIB1.dll to your c:\windows\system32 folder, then reboot. Just Sayin!

Back up your Mysql after it is sourced with the latest revision, load_players.sql, load_bots.sql (if you use bots), and the updates sql files. Just Sayin!

In a command window, simply type the following:
mysqldump -uroot -proot peq > c:\backup\peq_backup.sql

(I add the date after the word backup in the file name for my reference) Do it often. Just Sayin

Then if you ever have to re-install everything, you can easily source your whole database
back in by typing the following: (make sure your in that same backup folder)

mysql -uroot -ppassword
use peq
source peq_backup.sql

***Note** After re-installing, make sure you created the peq database name again with your sql front end like Heidi SQL (free) or Navicat for mysql (not free - Just Sayin).

Dont forget to fowarward your ports if you are going to have a public server and use the ip in your windows host file. Mine was located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.ics - Just Sayin!

Oh, here's a helpful tip ... download and use notepad++ to edit any of your config or ini files, etc. Also any .pl files when making quests. Basically anything you can edit, use notepadd++ to make it easier. Its free, just sayin!

These are some of the most common mistakes (above) JUST SAYIN!

If you avoid making those, you will save yourself a lot of headaches! Just Sayin

I am posting this for my own reference but maybe it will help someone else who is possibly frustrated beyond belief! Just Sayin!

Oh, if you didn't know, there are pre-compiled binaries in the google code you can down load and use. AT the time of this post they were compiled using perl 5.12 so you will need that version on your PC at c:\perl in order to use the binaries. You still need to follow the guide for maps, quests, plugins (inside quest folder when you get it via SVN) and all the other files from the source and eqtime.cf from the peqdb svn.

JUST SAYIN!

Adventure Unlimted - Underfoot!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

There's no particular need to move or copy any zlib files, just point the include and library directories to where they are in the source tree.

Most people won't have a hosts.ics file since they probably aren't using internet connection sharing.

You can get your computer's IP address by typing ipconfig at a command prompt, and if you need to know the external address of your router you can probably find it as the WAN address in the router config or you can visit http://www.whatismyip.com/

If you do need to forward ports you should make the IP address on the server computer static so it doesn't change and break all your forwarding.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Caryatis
Dragon

Should change the title to something more accurate... "Shit I heard in a bathroom while giving head."

Useless, inaccurate and misleading, JUST SAYIN~
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
dew1960
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
Should change the title to something more accurate... "Shit I heard in a bathroom while giving head."

Why are there so many trolls on this board? Hell, all the windows guides are outdated at the time of this post and have inaccurate and misleading info in some way. As I clearly stated, I posted this for my own information so that the next time I am having a hard time building a new server, I can check this list of my past problems, LOL.

Maybe you give head in the bathroom, But this guy likes the ladies. JUST SAYIN!

"No one likes a douche" - GM/Admin from Fleshripper.

If any of my original post does not apply to you, well thats because I posted it as a reference for myself. I never claimed to be an expert, LOL.

Now move along and go find some other post. There's a good troll!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM
dew1960
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
There's no particular need to move or copy any zlib files, just point the include and library directories to where they are in the source tree.

Most people won't have a hosts.ics file since they probably aren't using internet connection sharing.

You can get your computer's IP address by typing ipconfig at a command prompt, and if you need to know the external address of your router you can probably find it as the WAN address in the router config or you can visit http://www.whatismyip.com/

If you do need to forward ports you should make the IP address on the server computer static so it doesn't change and break all your forwarding.
Thanks for your reply, good information!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Consider my post a reference for everybody else. If you don't want others to see your potato, use notepad next time.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:

Great response, I have to give that a 9 out of 10.
OP you are obviously doing something wrong.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 AM
dew1960
Sarnak

Quote:
Consider my post a reference for everybody else. If you don't want others to see your potato, use notepad next time.
/ignore

Whatever dude. You know you are just being rude but I don't care, LOL. You are only showing your true colors to all.