Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
This needs to be split to another thread, but anyway...

The lack of PEQ updates is my fault alone. Every time I go to do a proper update, something in my life comes up and stops me from doing so. I don't like releasing crap, so when I do a db update, I go over everything so that the upgrade process is as painless for everybody as possible. But, I guess it's time to start doing half assed updates and let everybody figure things out for themselves. Certainly, it would save me time and allow for no excuse for consistent updates.

As for being way behind, that bothers me too, but here is the cold hard truth... It takes a LOT of time AND skill to properly recreate the world, and the biggest problem is a severe lack of data. EQ never had the population WoW has, so we don't have all the data available to us that the WoW emulators do. Packet collects account for less than 5% of the zones' make up. Each zone is riddled with events, quests, and other happenings that you cannot get from collects alone. We can't just pull this data from our asses.

Then there is the fact that at any given time, PEQ has no more than 5 active people working and most times that number is actually much lower. People come and go, come back, go away again, etc. We all have full time jobs and lives, and EQEmu is a part time hobby... for fun. Everything we do is voluntarily released open source, I can't believe people actually would demand more from us than that.

Nobody is stopping anybody from attempting to better the project here. We are open source. But, the people that have the skills to contribute and do are the minority, most people around here either don't have the ability to contribute (and refuse to learn), or only develop for the sake of their own servers and don't share with the public. Anybody in those last two groups have absolutely no right to complain, imho.
I happen to think you guys have done a great job. I came back to EQEmu to relive the Classic and TRILOGY experience, and both of those have been recreated very well. From there I add on custom content to retain that trilogy feel and all has been well. I'm not skilled enough to dig through source code and fix bugs, I'm barely skilled enough to rewrite a few quests, but I figure it out and make it work. I appreciate all the hard work everyone has done developing EQEmu and PEQ so far.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Mariomario
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I happen to think you guys have done a great job. I came back to EQEmu to relive the Classic and TRILOGY experience, and both of those have been recreated very well. From there I add on custom content to retain that trilogy feel and all has been well. I'm not skilled enough to dig through source code and fix bugs, I'm barely skilled enough to rewrite a few quests, but I figure it out and make it work. I appreciate all the hard work everyone has done developing EQEmu and PEQ so far.
This is personally what has brought me here. To relive the classic type experience without the nostalgia. Cavedude brings up a point that there are people without the ability and skill to develop into the source code itself, rather than just writing some simple scripts for quests and events within the zones. The tools provided by GeorgeS and others make developing your own server easy, even if you are just by yourself. Just search the forums (which it seems there are a lot that can't even do so much as that) and make sure you read the instructions and follow along.

Sourcing in updates, packet collecting, and putting in the time needed are a far different ball game. Once again this is pure voluntary and isn't a paid full time job, therefore none of us have the right to demand anything out of anyone. We can only continue to appreciate what the community puts in and expect nothing more. The people who have put thousands of hours into this project have my sincerest gratitude as being the sole developer of a server I understand what it takes, especially if you don't want to be releasing half ass quests and zones.

Enlightened Dark: Ascension
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

i made a dvd cdrom out of the digital downloads i bought for my personal use and one working legal backup so i don't have to download it again and i made a standalone install.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Good thing you are the only EQEmu player Noport, otherwise it might matter that not everybody has a backup of every client.