Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 AM
odinforever
Fire Beetle

Default Gates of Discord...

Does this new expansion have ANY lore that you can get into while playing? Do the NPCs have any story, are there well designed new monsters to kill? Do they say anything? Is the level design good?
I'm just curious, I wanna check out the zones and the new monster models. Thanks alot
Old 07-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Zkhava
Hill Giant

Patience is a virtue..........
Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Dave987
Discordant

Lore ? Sony / Verant?

Dont be silly. They screwed up lore at around .. ohh I dunno, someone help me out here? Luclin sounds good. Yeah .. I think they lost it there.

/mumble mumble

I personally hate GoD. I just .. thought it sucked. Might just be me .. ^_^
Old 07-20-2004, 07:53 AM
odinforever
Fire Beetle

Nah, Luclin definately had its lore and its stories, and the NPCs and talking MOBs definately had some personality and were decent characters. Pretty much everything after that expansion sucked though, lore-wise...........

Gates of Discord looks so dry and BLAH! My impression of the level design is very bad. It looks bland, unlike what Verant USED to do. And also, where is the immersion by the use of lore and interesting NPC and MOB characters?........:(
Old 07-20-2004, 08:08 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

The jist of the story is... Morden Rasp said go to this continent and kill the evil Muramites...

so do what Morden Rasp says dammit!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Zkhava
Hill Giant

Best zone in the game is Halls of Honor........ hands down

The Lore stopped at Planes of Power........
Old 07-20-2004, 01:52 PM
bloodgoth
Sarnak

Haha... Nah, there was definately lore behind LoY, LDoN, and GoD. Just need to get to the right places, and do the right things.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Zkhava
Hill Giant

No...........

"Planes of Power" had a lore behind it, which was bad ass ( im a big fan of planes of power ) Which started from :::

PoTranquility which ended at PoTimeA... if someone wants me to post the lore, i will
Old 07-22-2004, 03:33 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkhava
if someone wants me to post the lore, i will
Please do post it but quote it from EQLive not just a synopsis.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

EQ has no lore.

EQ was a game rushed out to meet a deadline, the systems for distributing lore was weak and un-satisfying. Over the years they've tried to refine the lore, but in the end they fail.

Lore is scrolled on your screen before uber mob fights that NOBODY ever gets a chance to read, because said uber mob is beating the crap out of them.

90% of eq players hear of a quest on a website or from friends, rush out to get the uber reward, ignoring any lore attempted to be given.

Without cutscenes or interesting lore to keep the players attention, random scrolled lines of crap will be ignored. it's a shame but EQ never handled lore very well at all.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Lore is scrolled on your screen before uber mob fights that NOBODY ever gets a chance to read, because said uber mob is beating the crap out of them.
I disagree I always scrolled up to see what the gods were saying as we beat the crud out of them in PoP.

-edit-

I HATE GoD and LDoN. Wth is up with this wayfarer gang? Just a stupid advertising thing, its not real lore anymore.

Way to go Sony.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
I disagree I always scrolled up to see what the gods were saying as we beat the crud out of them in PoP.
Sure, but as you were doing this, at least 90% of your raid force was focusing on the fight, or you would of gotten your asses kicked =D
Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Quote:
Sure, but as you were doing this, at least 90% of your raid force was focusing on the fight, or you would of gotten your asses kicked =D
&lt;-- Enchanter
Most PoP raids dont really need enchanters, and when they do Im not busy enough to ignore the lore
C++ is wonderful.