Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
pythag
Sarnak

Default Help/advice in setting up new private server

Hi,
I have always had trouble trying to set up the emulator to play on a single pc.

I am now in the position that I have a spare box which will become a server - can anybody advice on the best way to set this up as its completly empty.

Do I go windows or linux (if so what in linux) etc - I am starting from scratch!

Thank you
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Once you figure out which OS you are going to use try one of the following guides.

Public setup
Code:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980
Private setup
Code:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32293
Public setup uses eqemu login server which makes it much easier for anyone to login into your server and switch between servers at will. Private setup uses EQEmuLoginServer.exe which makes the login server private and completely controlled by you. Setup for both login types is more or less the same till the very end then the private login setup requires a few additional steps.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
pythag
Sarnak

Ok thats a good start, any thoughts on the operating system - does it matter, from what I read Linux is a simpler process?

Thank you again
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

I am sure there are pros and cons for each but I have no idea which OS is actually better for a server setup. I am only familiar with windows setups and can say from experience that it works fine under Server 2003, XP, Vista and Windows 7. Just give it a little more time and see if someone with more knowledge of both OS's responds.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Windows is pretty easy.

If you're not already familiar with Linux I'd imagine you'd have trouble. I've seen a few scripts posted to do everything for you in Linux, which might be great, but if it doesn't work and you don't know how to track down the problem you'd be stuck.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
pythag
Sarnak

Thank you for the input - I think sticking with windows regardless will probably be safer.