Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
EmoJoe
Fire Beetle

Default Server Recommendations for a Newbie?

Hi, first off if this is on the wrong place, my apologies. It looked like the right place to post this.

Me and a friend were looking for an emulated server, I played EQ about 8 years ago and my friend has never played.

Were looking for a server that keeps true to the actual EQ framework, a little re-working is fine but the same basic game. World events would also be a big plus, I very much miss those as rare as they were.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I always like to get player perspective rather than blindly pick one. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 PM
mastajon
Sarnak

pretty much peq the grand creation is your best choice if you are looking for true eq workings. Storm haven also does a good job of keeping most eq workings with a custom feel to it.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
EmoJoe
Fire Beetle

Thanks, I'll take a look into those.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Most servers have one kind of annoying flaw, but it isn't really their fault. That is, multiboxing. That is playing 6 characters with 1 real person and eliminating the need to group.

But for EQ.. You have Project EQ, which is probably the best emulated "live-like" server around. They are up to the LDon Expansion, with minor touching on other expansions and you'll find things missing here or there, but they really tend to press the standards on itemization, contents, quests, etc. They're open source, so other servers can typically base their work around it, but not saying they aren't putting in their own work too!

Then you have Project 1999, which is an original-like version of EQ, it is aiming to recreate the old feel of 1999 EQ. This one is pretty hardcore, with an IP limit of 1 (unless you can convince them you have family at the place and get an IP release, but even then I think only 2 per IP). This means you can find groups, but on the same breathe, P1999 is very slow EXP. They have penalties, hell levels, and many things that were done away with in the evolution of EQ.

You also have quite a few custom form servers, catered for the lower community you may find, such as StormHaven, The Hidden Forest, Gnomish Proving Grounds, etc etc, these ones take the original idea of EQ and twist it to be a more customized experience.

Storm Haven's maker (trevius) did a lot of the contributions to get the SoF client going, and they have worked on custom SoF-zones, so if you want to play Drakkin their support is pretty good for them. They also keep putting in interesting custom quests of randomness, and in general I enjoy their style of customization.

Some servers specialize in PVP, others may specialize in other ways, but generally speaking most fit into the above categories.

Personal opinion: I tend to enjoy THF due to it's smaller niche community, and close GM community support. When I started THF I immediately found people to become friends, people were overall nice, and it was pretty easy to get up to a point you could contribute in a guild with time invested.

Project 1999 is a "full time commitment". PEQ I can't seem to find myself playing long enough to get anywhere, and I've played around on nearly every server at least once on the preferred list, and each one has their share of interesting features.

In other words, play around, talk to the poeple there, see what you think of their ideas.

All EQEMU servers tend to have bugs and some times band aids are applied differnetly to the bugs.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
EmoJoe
Fire Beetle

I would like a good community. Playing any MMO, especially EQ, with a group is just way better. Not really looking for a full time commitment personally, thanks for the heads up on that. Death penalty wasn't bad but the slow XP and hell levels very much were.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

THF has a lot of boxing, but the EXP rate is quite fast, the content is kind of curved for the fast rates, and it overall is just a quick enjoyable experience with an end game you can really sink your teeth into and enjoy, too.

You can make do with your friend + yourself + a bot to live on THF.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
EmoJoe
Fire Beetle

Well is it a pain to find a real player to group with? I'm not a big fan of botting even when it's not frowned on, just don't like it.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 AM
mastajon
Sarnak

storm haven so far has a decent amount of real players. the box limit is at 3 if i remember.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Don't forget about The Irreverent server, its coded so you can solo every mob in the game as you progress.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
everlastnmn
Sarnak

Default ..

Gnomish Prooving Grounds is by far the most enjoyable server imo. It's got the old world feel, very little customizations, etc. Progression based (in POP atm) and while some people may like hell levels, regular exp levels, running to each zone, etc. then this is not the server for you.

EXP is 2x (not insane, you can get to 60 in 2 days)
PEQZONE is enabled
5 max ip characters

I don't have the time to take 30 days to get lvl 60 anymore. I lose intrest in that style of play quickly. This server dosen't hand you anything, you work for it, it just takes half the time to level. All encounters are old style EQ. To my knowledge, there is only 2 custom zones. To be honest, I like old style EQ zones, I'm not all about the custom stuff. Some like it and to each their own.

But if you are looking for old classic style EQ with little customizations, then GPG is a great server to try.