Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Kilralpine
Sarnak

Default Custom Spell Omit

Okay, I run Icelance Server; and I had the idea to implement custom spells...

I want to do this in the form of players picking up and memorizing spells themselves... But ONLY for the custom (endgame spells) that i create

I already have a spellscribe in tutorial; BUT I Do NOT want to designate a whole new player level to keep him from scribing them to players...

Does anyone have an ingenious way to make the spellscriber ommit these new custom spells i make?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Rocker8956
Hill Giant

I recall seeing a post about this before but did not see it doing a quick search.

The easiest way to do this would be to have the spell scriber give all spells to the player then take the ones away that you don't want the player to have.

Hope that made sense...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Kilralpine
Sarnak

And ideas on what way to have him take them away.... if i could get an NPC to use GM commands i could just do #unscribe SPELLID...

Not sure if thats possible tho; any ideas?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 AM
trevius
Developer

There is no easy way to do that currently. One thing I would like to add at some point is a quest command to remove single spells, but there isn't currently one. Probably wouldn't be too hard to get working, but I just don't have the time to do it for a while.

Another idea would be that since spells can now be put into the database, we should be able to modify the table to add new features to it. One idea this request made me think of would be to add an extra field to the table that would allow you to chose when you want the player to be able to scribe them. Basically, the default for the field would be 0, which means it can be scribed by anyone who can use it, but then you could set it to something higher than 0 and require that the player has it before it allows them to scribe. Basically, it would be like quest globals for spells, and they could maybe even work together somehow. If it was set so you required a certain quest global at a certain value (this would require a qglobal name and value field to be added to the spells table), then you could define exactly when you want players to have access to that spell. It would be great for removing spells from your server too, since you could just easily set them to values that you don't give to players.

AndMetal moved the spells to a table, and I think this idea is one of the many possible applications that could make it a big improvement over using the old spells_us.txt file way. But, until there is a tool comparable to the Ailia/Bleh spell editor that works for the database version, I think it is best to leave both options available. It isn't hard to import/export the spell file, but more work is more work. If we didn't have to import/export to easily edit them with a nice tool, I think we could make the database spells table the default for the emulator. Until then, the spells file will be the default.

I will add this idea to my list of things I want to add to the emulator. If AndMetal doesn't see this and add it before I get to it, I will try to get it added myself at some point (but not anytime soon prolly).
Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Kilralpine
Sarnak

Would Really Appreciate That; Only Other Thing Ive Considered Is Opening The Level Cap To 71 And Limiting Him to 70...

Thanks Trev