Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Default Creating NPC"S And Make Them Quest able

I am really new to getting my server up and running so i dont know any of the sites that can help me. what i want to do is create NPC with a quest/reward system. Can Anyone Help Me out me and my daughter both love EQEMU and have no planse going back to sony

Please HELP IM LOST

SIlent

I am willing to share anyting i can make up with the whole commuinity So let me know if you have a job for me. i am disabled and can be on the PC 24/7 if needed for gm support and to help players on servers.. thanks again
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

check my other reply to your post in the general section for a link to GeorgeS tools. can heavily modify any server with only an hour or so worth of research into the tools. very easy to use.

as for setting up a server there is the PEQ installer which you might have to jump through a hoop or two to get atm due to the main site being down.

and a newer option ( i think?) is leslamarch's portable eqemu server setter-upper

at first it all seems very overwhelming, but be paitient, work through whatever bugs popup, and in no time you'll be EQing to your hearts content.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Hi Silent,

It sounds like you want to:

1. get a server up and running
2. create an NPC
3. create a quest script for an NPC that hands out rewards for completing a quest.

Can you check all that apply here? Not clear yet what exactly you have done and have not done already. If (1), there is a setup guide available; if (2) that is done pretty easily with the ingame #spawn command (go here, and scroll down to "Adding the second NPC from within"); if (3) that is a pretty easy "turn-in" quest script, and I'll be happy to show you an example. Just clarify what you need. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

OK here is what i have done so far.
1. i have EQMU up and running with its login server up and running as well.
2. i have PEQ Data base installed and have been playing with that.
and so far everythings been great but i want to take it a step further and add: NPC to kill which spawn back on a timer, Merchants with different items to buy like high level stuff, I want to Make NPC'S that have Quest for items/exp/money, and eventually i would like to add my own content into the game if i learn the programs needed for it.

My server does run even though only the network at home here is the only place we have tested it not sure if anyone from the outside can connect to it as of yet but i wanted to add more content into the game before i open to the public.

Also does this stuff i add dissapear when the server goes down and i shut down the 3 dos windows that deal with the clients/world/login server?

i know i have a big list of stuff i would like to know and i would appricate any help you guys can give me with it. anything i make like quest and any stuff you guys want me to make public i will do that ASAP its always nice to have new quest.

O before i forget what programs will i be needing to do the work?

Thanks For Hearing Me Out.
Silent
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Default updating eqemu/peq

do i do anything special when updating the item files, spell files or anything else there is when there is an update for the database. i am really new to using data base programs but im a fast learner.

Thanks Again
Silent
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Default Just a couple more questions for the night

what would the program be called that will allow me to make my own character/MOB NPC's,custom made not generated from everquest, and how would i get them into the game
would anyone connecting to my server be able to see my new content or just me on my personal server? there are quite a few more questions i have so wont over load every one with them ATM

Silent
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

what would the program be called that will allow me to make my own character/MOB NPC's,custom made not generated from everquest, and how would i get them into the game
would anyone connecting to my server be able to see my new content or just me on my personal server? there are quite a few more questions i have so wont over load every one with them ATM

Silent

do i do anything special when updating the item files, spell files or anything else there is when there is an update for the database. i am really new to using data base programs but im a fast learner.

Thanks Again
Silent

OK here is what i have done so far.
1. i have EQMU up and running with its login server up and running as well.
2. i have PEQ Data base installed and have been playing with that.
and so far everythings been great but i want to take it a step further and add: NPC to kill which spawn back on a timer, Merchants with different items to buy like high level stuff, I want to Make NPC'S that have Quest for items/exp/money, and eventually i would like to add my own content into the game if i learn the programs needed for it.

My server does run even though only the network at home here is the only place we have tested it not sure if anyone from the outside can connect to it as of yet but i wanted to add more content into the game before i open to the public.

Also does this stuff i add dissapear when the server goes down and i shut down the 3 dos windows that deal with the clients/world/login server?

i know i have a big list of stuff i would like to know and i would appricate any help you guys can give me with it. anything i make like quest and any stuff you guys want me to make public i will do that ASAP its always nice to have new quest.

O before i forget what programs will i be needing to do the work?

Thanks For Hearing Me Out.
Silent
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Sorry for the double post of my messages i got mixed up a little bit.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 AM
trevius
Developer

Try reading the forums a bit and the wiki and you should be able to find the answer to almost any question you could possibly have. There is a huge amount of information on this site.

For tools to make changes easier, you should give GeorgeS' tools a try. You can find them on his website, which is linked in his sig. Check his section of the forums for more info.

Database changes don't disappear when you shut down the server. It all depends on what you are doing though, on whether it will stay or not. Once you know what you are doing, it is easy to make sure everything will stay. One example of things that would disappear is if you made an NPC in game, but didn't use the right command to save it to spawn in the zone.

Many database changes you might make won't take effect until you restart your server. This includes item changes, rule changes, loot table changes, faction changes and probably a few others.

Check out the FAQ in my sig for answers to some common questions.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Default Programs for adding npc's

do i need the navcat program for mysql or is the mysql query browser enough? sorry i hate sounding like such a newbie but programing stuff is the bane of my life but im trying to learn fast. what i would like to do is add quest npc's for items/plat/exp and some zone events if it is possable im just not sure where to start any help would be greatly appricated.

Silent
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
do i need the navcat program for mysql or is the mysql query browser enough?
You can download Navicat lite for free, and I would recommend it.
Quote:
what i would like to do is add quest npc's for items/plat/exp and some zone events if it is possable im just not sure where to start any help would be greatly appricated.
hmmm . . . I thought I gave you help by linking to an article that shows you how to create an npc. There is also a quest-writing lexicon located among the stickies in this forum. You keep asking for help but you do not indicate whether you're following the links we provide. As Trevius wrote, these forums are filled with the answers to your questions. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the resources that are readily available. Immerse yourself in them; then try the procedure. If you get stuck, this forum is usually very good about filling in gaps of knowledge.
Quote:
If you're referring to character-model development, then of all the things you asked about this one is light-years down the road. I'd just put this one on the far-back burner until you have mastered the other things.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
SilentPrayer79
Fire Beetle

Default Thank YOu

Your right i just am a little bit afrade ill screw the emulator up but i have been following the links downloading the programs and i printed out the Perl Quest Lexicon now i just have to figure out where to start. yeah i like having big plans and i hope i can master this stuff soon so i can be some help. thank you everyone for your help ill let you know how it goes. and thak you Neiv you where a great help to me with those links. Take care all and wish me luck.