Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:07 AM
mattmeck

Default Scorp site down maby server

I have recieved a Cease a Desist Order from SOE telling me to take the Scorpious2k web site and forums down. I havent talked to Scorp to see if he recieved one for the server itself, but im sure thats not far behind.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Dohh !!!
I think soe loose to much money...
and they hunt emulators now like wow :(
/comfort Scorp, Matt, i hope is'nt so serious !

" Is nobody here a lawyer and would know if there is something has to make against that ?"
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.

Last edited by Belfedia; 09-21-2005 at 03:28 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM
WildcardX
Developer

Dear Sony,

I am buying XBox 360.

That is all.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:37 AM
ltlruss
Discordant

That's really too bad... Looks like it might be a trend. Hopefully some of the servers can stay under Sony's radar... good luck Matt......

SEARCH It's your friend
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 AM
johane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlruss
That's really too bad... Looks like it might be a trend. Hopefully some of the servers can stay under Sony's radar... good luck Matt......
Am I right in thinking that it's only the servers with various kinds of "patchers" who are getting these letters so far? If so the rules here are vindicated.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Patchers have nothing to do with it. Sony owns the copyright, and they have all the money. They can and will do whatever they want. I just hope they only pick on the servers and not the emulator itself.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 PM
mattmeck

What SOE is doing isnt legal, Its just the fact SOE has more plat then me to pay for lawyers......
Old 09-21-2005, 08:39 PM
solid11
Discordant

All the lawyers in the world won't change what the law is. If Sony gets a reputation of losing cases in court just because they want to spend their mass amount of money to flex their might, they'll lose faction with stockholders and that wont be good.

"Your standing with a_county_attorney could not possibly get any better."
"Your standing with a_disgruntled_stockholder has gotten worse."
Old 09-22-2005, 03:36 AM
mystic414
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
What SOE is doing isnt legal, Its just the fact SOE has more plat then me to pay for lawyers......
These forums have over 60,000 registered users (i'm not kidding). If even 10% of those users donated $10 to a "hire a lawyer to show SOE who's boss" fund, that'd bring in $60,000... that should be enough to get a decent lawyer

And that's if the average donation is $10. Just think how much that would bring in if people donated an amount around what it costs to buy a new PC game ($50 or more). Can you say, "over a quarter of a million dollars"?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 AM
mystic414
Hill Giant

And along those lines, if someone can actually organize something like that, I'd gladly donate at least $50 to the project, maybe more. After all the time I've spent playing with it, I'd say that would be pretty reasonable.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:42 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default 60,000 registered users

maybe 60 of them are adults
the rest of the 60,000 registered users are Kids and are broke..why do you think they play Freeservers.
you may get some money from the dedicated people but I doubt you will get anywhere near the funds they have.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-22-2005, 03:50 AM
mystic414
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65
maybe 60 of them are adults
the rest of the 60,000 registered users are Kids and are broke..why do you think they play Freeservers.
you may get some money from the dedicated people but I doubt you will get anywhere near the funds they have.
60 adults? .1% of the registered users? I think that's a bit low... but even if you were right about that..

Kids aren't broke. They get allowances, and they get jobs. They have money to go to movies, buy video games, etc. And even barring that, they have parents they could easily weasle 10 bucks out of :P

$10 is practically nothing. Stay home from McDonalds once or twice and you've got it.

And you don't need to equal SOE's resources to stand up to them. You just need enough to get a decent lawyer, which, while not cheap, doesn't require the resources of an entire corporation to do.

Last edited by mystic414; 09-22-2005 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic414
60 adults? .1% of the registered users? I think that's a bit low... but even if you were right about that..

Kids aren't broke. They get allowances, and they get jobs. They have money to go to movies, buy video games, etc. And even barring that, they have parents they could easily weasle 10 bucks out of :P

$10 is practically nothing. Stay home from McDonalds once or twice and you've got it.

And you don't need to equal SOE's resources to stand up to them. You just need enough to get a decent lawyer, which, while not cheap, doesn't require the resources of an entire corporation to do.
Umm thats crazy talk 1 lawyer against that....hmmm I got bets on the outcome.
you know your dealing with kids RIGHT ? most of them will say LOL NOOB...

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 AM
mystic414
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65
you know your dealing with kids RIGHT ? most of them will say LOL NOOB...
Probably. That's why I based my figures on 10% of the people responding, instead of 70%. But, there are a lot of "kids" out there who like EQEmu a lot more than EQ Live for whatever reason... maybe it's because it's free, maybe it's because certain servers are (were) more fun than EQ Live. And 10 bucks isn't a lot to ask of people who often pay more than that each month just to play on EQ Live.

So you've made your stance clear. You certainly don't have to donate a cent to the project, if you choose not to. I'm curious to see what other people think about the issue, though.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:32 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic414
Probably. That's why I based my figures on 10% of the people responding, instead of 70%. But, there are a lot of "kids" out there who like EQEmu a lot more than EQ Live for whatever reason... maybe it's because it's free, maybe it's because certain servers are (were) more fun than EQ Live. And 10 bucks isn't a lot to ask of people who often pay more than that each month just to play on EQ Live.

So you've made your stance clear. You certainly don't have to donate a cent to the project, if you choose not to. I'm curious to see what other people think about the issue, though.
Well I agree with some of those things.
but a lot of it is based on the Player Support I have now.
how many new POP and up zones have you seen avalibe,None...
Database's beside PEQ, None...it goes on and on.
im not going to go into the details but I can guess that 10% is about right.
and 5% really cares.
I would donate 1000 bucks if I thought it mattered... but I think it's a lost cause.

www.cheaterz.info