Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Theeper
Discordant

Default Collaboration Forums ?

I had an idea that if we could get more people to work together instead of having 500 new servers per week with only one person working on them, we might see some better, longer lasting servers with more complete content.

I see a lot of servers on the LS that are essentially the same. They seem to vanish once the admin realizes how much work it actually is to create a custom server. I personally have given up on several ideas over the years after I get a few days work put into them and get bored.

Anyone got any thoughts ?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

the problem is that where 20 programers when writing code have identical final goal, 20 world builders all have diffirent one =)
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

I agree with Theeper, by no means should a custom server be taken on by one individual. It takes an entire team to effectively build a custom server and even then it will take several months to make a public release.

With my recruitment letter for non-payed interns, I was able to recruit many database administrators that worked on their own private server, have experience with quest scripting and have great real life job experience. In other words, we have done just like you are sudjesting, combine our efforts into one project, one server.

However, just like any project, it requires a good scope. The entire project should be run by someone with project management experience, otherwise you risk the project failing. You can rely on one person that can effectively build the server, if one person leaves, you have to have someone that can take his spot.

Even with my team, I do plan to continue recruiting. I'll release another add up here on the forums in the future and some others elsewhere.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Ut0pia
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ut0pia View Post
You can rely on one person that can effectively build the server, ....
^CAN'T

dang edit timer
Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
the problem is that where 20 programers when writing code have identical final goal, 20 world builders all have diffirent one =)
Too true.

As for world building, it's easy to find a common goal IF (!) you haven't already had your mind set on your own goals.

That being said, I'd love a joint project, but only if it is going to take off, and only if we're not all going to be at each other's throats (which happened the last time we tried to make a joint effort.) the whole time. It would have to be with people we didn't know, or servers that are up and coming and have never been competitive with each other.

Additionally, as Ut0pia said, people do get burnt out really fast when doing non-profit work.

A team of 6-10 coders/worldbuilders would be an ideal thing to work with. If say, 3 of them get bored, the other 3-7 will not have any issues continuing down the line.

So, a server with people working together to make a rich custom content server? It may bring more people out of the woodwork. The question is still, how are we going to bring people from their own creations, and how are we going to create a melting pot of content designers and coders that will not fight with anyone else.

I'd like to see more thoughts on this.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 AM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

Just my little input here. I mainly put my own server up for the sake of my love for the game. Just one friend of mine asked about it, since I had my first one done back in like '02 (?), though things here were still fresh and new, and lots missing. Anyhow, last year he asked about it again, and the improvements here were/are outstanding. That being said, my machine was built just for a small handful of us to play on. Honestly, past few months its not seen any action. Why bother? Good question, but no matter what the reasons, I'm still addicted to EQ and seeing this project (EQEmu) grow and progress. I just have a few points here. One being some people are not going to care if its their own machine they are developing, just that they get the chance to help out for a game they love to play. By game, it may even mean coding/building/editing...and not even true "game play". Another thing, a "slow server" means people can and do get bored with their own, myself included here, and may welcome the opportunity to help out others with theirs. Last thing, this whole project is trial and error. Keep the goal in sight, and don't give up.