Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
avakai
Fire Beetle

Default Password Reset emails *Admin plz read*

Just got a reset password email for all of my accounts that I currently have to play on the EMU and I did not request it.

Just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

Not sure what the point would be to hack a EQ EMU account but you never know.

I have went through and changed all my passwords to something different but just wanted to let someone in charge know so they can look into it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

I wish it happened to me. I got no email and no mod help bahhh.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

We reset every password because there was a trojan fetching each login/pass when someone logs in. It is suggested that you change your password if you use it with anything else.. Incl. bank accounts, other forums and games.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

If you used a bogus email address or no longer have the email address you used on your account, you may be up a creek without a paddle. The password email recovery system is working at this time so if you do not receive a password change request when using the recovery system, it is a problem on your end.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
SiddinWolfsbane
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardoX View Post
We reset every password because there was a trojan fetching each login/pass when someone logs in. It is suggested that you change your password if you use it with anything else.. Incl. bank accounts, other forums and games.
Sadly I don't even know what password I was using at first...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
trevius
Developer

The password you were using before is useless anyway. They are all changed, so the old passwords are completely gone and irrelevant now.

For anyone that missed the reset email, I highly recommend trying to contact your email provider and ask that they stop blocking the eqemulator.net domain emails. I am sure that hotmail now has some sort of auto-block setup on it and probably a few others may too. If enough people contact MS about the hotmail blocking issue, I imagine they will fix it. Once it is fixed, people will be able to use the password reset option and will actually get an email from the forums so they can reset it.

And yeah, Richardo is right. If you used a bogus email or one you don't have access to anymore like an old ISP or something, you are most likely out of luck. The only option at that point would be for an admin to change your email address in your profile to a new one, but we have no way to verify 100% if a person is who they say they are. So, it is unlikely that this would ever be a real option other than for maybe a few that could be verified in other ways.