Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 AM
InsaneWallaby
Sarnak

Default Zone Short Name Questions

Hello all,

I was unsure where to post this, but since I run a windows server, I figured I would post it here. Anyways, I've got a few questions about the short zone names.

First, I've got a full list of long zone names from allakhazam, but I do not know where I may find a list of short zone names. I do not have access to my database at the time, but I assume most of the short names from the (10?) expansions or whatever up to Gloomingdeep are in there, and I can hopefully figure them out. And yes, I have already grabbed what information was on the Wiki--I am not stupid, and did what I could beforehand. However, I also want to find the short zone names from further expansions, as well. Does anybody know where I could find these? I do not have a subscription to Everquest, so going in and doing a /who all 60 shadowknight or whatnot and going through every level or class and finding unknown shortnames is not feasible for me. The reasons why are unrelated to my server at this time.

Second, I stopped playing Everquest shortly after Planes o' Power came out. I noticed that for some of the dungeons, there are short names (such as LDoN) that are suffixed from a to h, yet in the Wiki, apply to only one name (such as Mistmoore catacombs, which is mmca-mmch). I've done a bit of reading, and I noticed these zones are instanced. Is this referring to each instance, IE there can only be up to 8 instances of a dungeon at a time, or are these dungeons all separate but underneath the same name because of differences in level or something?

I suppose that is all for now. I've got a pretty healthy list going, but right now I've still got about half of the short names missing. I'll probably update the Wiki once I get it finished. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:30 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Can't you get a full zone shortname list by looking in the client dir at the *.s3d or *.eqg file names? Even without access to a MySQL database, you can open the load_system.sql that comes with PEQ database and review the inserts into "zones" table. But that table is lacking many of the newer zones. If a list of those zone files will do, I have a patched live client. I can post them for you.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 AM
InsaneWallaby
Sarnak

If you could post 'em, that would really help. And yes, I've thought about going through the folder and finding each zone, but the problem with that is, I then have a short zone name with no idea of what long zone name it corresponds to. Unfortunately, in my opinion, Sony also seemed to get lazy with short zone names in the later expansions, and it gets hard to tell what crud like "dkga" (for example) would mean when looking through a list of 500 zones. I could possibly figure them out given some time, but that's what's really hurting right now, unfortunately.

Also, I can wait until tonight to look at the stuff in the database; it's just that right now I have no time or motivation to do so since I can wait for four hours and do it at home instead of on campus. Sorry; I was not clear on that issue.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Well, I almost had a great idea that might have helped you quickly... but as usual, eq.mapfiend.net is down. Or at least unavailable from where I am. The maps themselves use the short-name. I linked my 7/2005 version of allmaps_soe.zip here, but as you can tell by the date, it'll be missing DoDH+ maps I am sure. Just the map names are in this file

Another site I used to use that is apparently no longer maintained is eqmaps.com. Check this link, might have something you need.
http://www.eqmaps.com/locsheet.php3 - I am certain this is way out of date, too.

Whe I did a dir /on *.s3d, I got about 300 files that I doubt will help you. They are still short names with no references to long names. Here's the list anyway. Note that not all gfx files are zones. Some appear to be game objects in general.

Last edited by John Adams; 10-27-2006 at 03:30 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 08:32 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

IW, you know, I am retarded. Sorry, I should have just pointed you Wiki-side, since I just found an old print out that seems to have all IDs, short and long names from the Wiki. Go there, search on "zone", or "zone name" or "zones". You should find what you're looking for.

Wiki could be missing info... might need an update.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
InsaneWallaby
Sarnak

Already got the Wiki ones; I stated that right off, so that's probably why you didn't think of it. I always try to check the Wiki first (so that Mattmeck doesn't get me =P). Just from taking a glance at it, I found two listings in the Wiki: the current one, and a really old one from back in the Luclin era. They're both an incomplete listing, so it'll need updating.

As for the links to the 2005 one, it might have some info, and could fill in a few of the zones I don't have from the other eras, although I know when I clicked one of the links that it timed out; I'll have to look closer and try again elsewhere. If I cannot find the info, I'll probably just use some placeholders. It is not overly important, although it would simplify future things. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
And yes, I have already grabbed what information was on the Wiki--I am not stupid
~blush~

Why yes, you did say so. Sorry, age is getting the best of me.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneWallaby
Second, I stopped playing Everquest shortly after Planes o' Power came out. I noticed that for some of the dungeons, there are short names (such as LDoN) that are suffixed from a to h, yet in the Wiki, apply to only one name (such as Mistmoore catacombs, which is mmca-mmch). I've done a bit of reading, and I noticed these zones are instanced. Is this referring to each instance, IE there can only be up to 8 instances of a dungeon at a time, or are these dungeons all separate but underneath the same name because of differences in level or something?
I didn't see a reply to you about this, and not sure if you figured it out yet. But each of the 'a through whatever' maps for each of the ldon types (ie: mmca, mmcb, mmcc...) is a seperate map itself with a different layout design.

The difference in levels was based off of some code that checked the group's level. On the emu, unless you add the code youself, it will not do that. It will simply accept the mobs you place inside it, whatever level they may be.

Each of the zones can be used all at once (mmca, mmcb..) with no ill effect. But if you want more than one of a certain type (mmca + another mmca), you will probably need to change the zone files names to something else and load that new name as a seperate zone. (rename a copy of mmca files into MeanVampCity.whatever). Of course, then you would need to load the 'new' zone files into each client that would need to access that 'new' zone.

I hope that helped + I hope I didn't have some conceptual error myself during that. Someone check me.. You know how I am!