Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyscafe7 View Post
When i typed that in nothing happens it just goes to the next line and doesnt say anything. I tried re-installing perl, the quest still dont work and when i type those commands in on the command prompt nothing happens, no errors or anything. Is this just me?
Your Perl is working, EqEmu just can't find it - what about your path? Type PATH and hit enter in a command shell
Old 06-23-2007, 04:23 AM
codyscafe7
Fire Beetle

here is what it says when i type in PATH.

Code:
Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>PATH
PATH=C:\Perl\bin\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin\bin;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\PROGRA~1\PHP\;c:\perl\site\bin;c:\perl\bin;C:\Windows\;C:\Windows\Syst

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>
Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

It all looks OK, appears you are not un-installing Perl before re-install, but that shouldn't matter.
Are you using default install directory for Eqemu? "C:\EQEMU" , with Quests in "C:\EQEMU\QUESTS".
Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
codyscafe7
Fire Beetle

yep the quests are as follows c\EQEmu\Quests. what could be wrong with my hail button? why wont it work??
Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 AM
codyscafe7
Fire Beetle

What should i do??
Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Your biggest problem is , your not searching for the answers; you're waiting for us to search for you.
I don't know what happened with your install, but i can assure you you didn't follow instructions and left something out , or did something wrong (during install). As to what it was, there are many reasons, you have to figure for yourself. here is a forum search for "perl doesn't work";
http://eqemulator.net/forums/search.php?searchid=490793
You need to look for your answers, this way you'll get faster response.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
codyscafe7
Fire Beetle

Ive looked everywhere. I checked the forums. I looked at wiki I searched in google. I even uninstalled everything! and re-installed it only to get the same problem. could someone please help me? Why is my server acting like this. im so confused!!!. Could someone please help me?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
EmanonCow
Sarnak

perl --version
outputs what?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Darkonig
Hill Giant

More to the point, you have not said what version of the emulator you are trying to use or whether you are running the binary or compiling yourself.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
codyscafe7
Fire Beetle

im using 7.0-992, also what do you mean by compiling you mean when i click on start.bat or what? im using perl 5.8.8.820.and by outputs you mean?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
perl 5.8.8.820
This version of perl does not allow command line installations of the needed components like IO stringy and DBD-Mysql. When you open the Command line from your start menu and type in perl, it should bring up a Perl Interface with a Windows GUI. From this point you have to enable searchign for all packages and then in the text box in the top, type in the packages needed by the emulator. For more info my PDF guide as it points out everything.

You have to make sure that you select to search all packages though. If you do not choose to look at all packages, you will find one package easy, one will come up not exactly as it says it should be, and the other will be no where to be found.

RULES: None of the packages needed are preinstalled, and they WILL have the same name as what is reference in the wiki guide and in the PDF guide.

If you are having trouble witht that version, use this link to download a older versoin of Perl that has the command line interface for installing perl packages.

http://www.activestate.com/store/download_file.aspx?binGUID=5f03b75f-2bf0-4380-99b2-d55cff4bc233

To use this, install as normal, making sure to select adding to Windows PATH, and then open up the command prompt and type in perl. Once its up and your able to enter commands type

Code:
Install "Package Name"
Where Package name is the names of the three packages from the guide.

This may be completly useless post, but I have seen roughly four users have issues with perl becuase of the new GUI's stupid package managment feautres, but I still recommend using it as it works when used properly and it is a newer up-to-date version.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Not that this has a thing to do with the original post... but when I made my server, I didn't feel like installing everything completely. So I picked out perl58.dll, threw it into the server exe folder, and quests work.

Not sure what else I am missing, since I haven't fully tested all aspects. I just hate the fact you have to install all these packages to get one thing to work. And I keep remembering a rumor that perl was no longer needed - but I think that was bogus
Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 AM
ksmith08
Fire Beetle

Here's my two cents worth (coming from someone going through the process of setting up a new server.)

Are your quests and maps in the correct directories? I made the simple mistake of extracting the files into a sub directories in the folders, and had the identical symptoms. I could not hail or interact in any way with the NPC's.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
x-scythe
Discordant

wow, kind of amazing to see devn00b and image posting here
i dont come here like...ever anymore. forums are dead and i dont recognize anyone that is posting here.

in regards to your problem... i just skimmed through this briefly so sorry if you already tried this (too much to read) but did you try the npcid.pl method like image suggested? thats how i always did it

and btw, shouldnt this be in the quest Q&A section? does this forum still have moderators? haha
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Nasyr
Fire Beetle

Hi everyone,

i have exactly the same problem with Hail and Quests. Nothing of both workds. After searching a bit i checked the log folder and found following:

Code:
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_quest_zone_0724.log
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Tying perl output to eqemu logs
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Creating EQEmuIO=HASH(0x116eb70)
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Creating EQEmuIO=HASH(0x116eeb8)
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Loading perlemb plugins.
[09.19. - 20:15:12] Loading perl commands...
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/orc_pawn.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
 (reverting to default questfile)
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/a_drunkard.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/Guard_Moonwind.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/Guard_Starstrike.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/orc_centurion.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
[09.19. - 20:15:56] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/gfaydark/orc_centurion.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
Anyone can tell me how to fix this issue?
What exactly does the logfile try to tell me?

Thanks for any help

Nasyr