Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Kronnik990
Fire Beetle

Question Any suggestions?

Well I have been going through the forums looking for a solution to the same problem a lot of others are having as well, and I have tried just about everything. I log into the game play sometimes for 5mins and then other times for 30mins, after that my spell gems don't recover, I can't interact with anyone or anything, and am forced to /q out and reload only for it to do the same thing over and over. I have painfully managed to get my shaman to 60 as well some how...Steps I have taken so far include.

1: Checking and double checking that I have my shortcut and eqgame settings all correct. Which I do obviously I have no login issues thus far.
2: Creating a datarate.txt file in my EQmain folder and trying from 0.5 settings to 8.0. I crash so often I can't tell which is better?
3: Downloading the program "Set Affinity II" and trying to use only 1 core when running the game. Really not sure if the program is ever doing what it says it is supposed to be doing as you get no messages or any kind of warning saying that only 1 core or what not is being used.
4: Going into control panel and turning the power scheme to "always on"
5: Forwarding 5998 ports in my router as well as 6000 and 7000.
6: Completely disabling windows Super 1337 firewall of super blockage of nothing.... Disabled my NOD32 Virus Protection completely.
7: Ran Ad-aware an other progs to make sure im not full of spyware.
8: And finally, going into the compatibility mode of the Eqgame.exe shortcut and enabling the setting for "run program in compatibility with windows 98."

This problem may have been solved long ago and I might just be stupid, but if anyone can help me out at all id appreciate it. Id like to do a few raids and things get some nice stuff eventually, but with this happening over and over in different zones, and not happening to my friends and what not in the same zone...its not going to be possible it seems.

My system specs include: 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
4k Ram, and Dual Nvidia 8800 GTXs in SLI.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:59 AM
trevius
Developer

What server are you playing on when this happens? I tend to notice that my players see this after my server has been running more than 2 days or so without a reboot.

This issue has been around a long time. Apparently the devs think it was fixed a while back (and I think it may have been for a short time), but it definitely isn't fixed. I am not sure if Linux server still have this issue at all, but Windows servers definitely do. I know that Cavedude was made aware that it was still occurring a couple months ago, but he may have forgotten about it. It was discussed in a thread for a while then the discussion just stopped.

One thing you can try for dual or quad cores is the fix below I copied from my forums:

Dual Core CPU Fix:
Dual (or Quad) Cores cause crashes, but has a simple fix.
1. Start EQEmu
2. Before logging into the login server, ATL+TAB out of the program and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
3. Select the 'Processes' Tab
4. Find the eqgame.exe process and right click it
5. Select 'Set Affinity' and then chose CPU 0
6. Return to EQ and run like normal

Alternatively, if you are running an AMD processor, you can fix it by just installing the AMD Optimizer.

I do wish this casting bug thing could be figured out. I have seen it happen on my characters in the past and it was very annoying. It doesn't seem to happen much as long as the server is rebooted daily though. If this bug and the ghosting bug were fixed on windows, I think it would be a huge help to the servers running on that OS. Otherwise till then, we are all forced to reload the server often or have it affect the players heavily. I have a temp work-around on my server to help with ghosting some, but it still needs reboots every couple of days to keep it from having major performance issues. Before my ghosting fix, it needed a reboot every single day or it would be unplayable in peak times. Now, I never see lag on my server. The only thing I see are connection issues and this bug that start getting more common after 2 days of server uptime.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Kronnik990
Fire Beetle

Well that sounds like it would work, or I hope it would, but every time I do ctrl+alt+del on it and go to processes it says, "operation failed, access denied." Is there any way to bypass this, because the Prog "Set Affinity II" is worthless.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:42 AM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

right click on the shortcut you made for eqgame.exe and click the compatability tab. check the "run this program in compatability mode for:" and choose win98 in the drop down box that becomes available. this should force EQ to only run on CPU0 (aka: your first core) as windows98 did not support multi-processor/multi-core.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 AM
fault
Hill Giant

it is more of a you<-> server, server<-> you thing. Just client lag on updating, for example the EZ 4exp server lags constantly you recieve this nice lag, however PEQ rarely does unless something is terribily wrong.

Running 200+ zones a world server and the sql on one box typically will cause such a headache unless it is a monster, and even then.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:59 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronnik990 View Post
Well that sounds like it would work, or I hope it would, but every time I do ctrl+alt+del on it and go to processes it says, "operation failed, access denied." Is there any way to bypass this, because the Prog "Set Affinity II" is worthless.
Note step 2 in the instructions I wrote:

2. Before logging into the login server, ATL+TAB out of the program and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL

The key word is BEFORE! If you try to change the process at any point after you log into the login server, the process is locked. As long as you set it right after you click the shortcut and the EQ window first opens, it will allow access to change the processor it runs on.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Kronnik990
Fire Beetle

Even right after I click the shortcut to open the EQgame.exe it still wont let me change the affinity... access denied. I do appreciate all the input though guys, think I have tried it all to no avail unfortunately. Think the server is the biggest culprit of all as fault said, I was trying to play on the EZ server or what not, should have known 50 times EXP and epics at level 1 was to good to be true. A lot of fun WHEN you can play, which isn't worth the head ache. Going to try other servers and if still no luck will just stick to shooting people in the face in COD4... Thanks again all for the help.