PDA

View Full Version : Emu behind Router issues

RAGE
01-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Im runnin a linksys router to slit up my isp's connection to another pc. Usually if I have problems with games etc I have no problem opening the proper port and getting it to work fine. Setting up ftps etc aren't really a problem if I know what port I wanna use. But when using the emu im having all kinda issues. Ive been having a friend try to connect to my server, but he cant get through. I tried opening ports 9000-9005 and 3000-4000 and no dice. Then I tried running my PC as DMZ(ie: all ports open) and still no go. Im really kinda confused, if all the ports are open I don't see why he still cant get through. Is there some software issue that could explain this? Any help would be appreciated.

hogger
01-25-2002, 04:50 PM
There's no simple answer to what's going on here, but I'd bet the emu isn't going to be very happy behind a firewall. I had trouble just getting it to run (and let me zone in) with two NIC's on my system. IMHO it is best to let it make a 1to1 connection wherever possible.

lokidecat
01-25-2002, 07:41 PM
I opened ports 9000-9020 to the internal IP and it seems to work.

Kensupen
01-25-2002, 08:06 PM
To set up to connect to the EQEMU login server so other people on the net can login to your server:

Edit boot5zones.bat and change the IP addresses to your EXTERNAL IP address assigned to you from your ISP
Also edit the loginserver.ini and add your external IP to the WORLDSERVER line

Replace nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn with your EXTERNAL IP address

@echo off
start zone . nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 9001 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
start zone . nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 9002 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
start zone . nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 9003 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
start zone . nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 9004 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
start zone . nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 9005 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
exit
cls

[LoginServer]
loginserver=eqlogin.gotfrags.com
worldname=[Your server name]
locked=false
worldaddress=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
account=
password=

After that is done, go to the "Port Forwarding" section of your router/firewall configuration.
Set ports 9000 to 9005 to the INTERNAL IP address of the computer running the WORLD and ZONE servers

Just change the IP addresses in both the above files to the INTERNAL IP address of the computer running the servers to have just your LAN be able to join the game.

flipper
02-01-2002, 05:34 AM
Kensupen,

Only problem with that approach is that you wouldn't be able to connect to your own server with those settings. Machines behind your router wouldn't be able to connect.

I did what you mentioned above and outside folks were able to connect to the minilogin server and then to the world server, but I was only able to connect to the login (not world due to worldaddress=my.externral.ip.addy). When I changed the setting to worldaddress=my.internal.ip.addy, then I could play but outside folks couldnt.

My advise is to get your EQEmu server outside of your router, or better yet, get Emu running on Linux and make your Linux machine act as the router :D

alkrun
02-01-2002, 06:59 AM
All of the Linksys and Netgear Cable / DSL routers can be managed. The 'proper' way to handle this would be to configure everything using your external IP address, then set up a routing rule to allow bouncing between private ip space and public ip space so you can also connect.

It's not too strange and I bet if you try the forums at http://www.dslreports.com/ you can find someone to help for your specific router.

Zeitgeist
02-01-2002, 08:27 AM
i'll post the way to do this when i get the time =0

flipper
02-01-2002, 09:57 AM
I'll do some reading on dslreports and see if I can figure out how to 'remove head from anus'.

I think my stumbling block will be my router. It's a 2wire HomePortal 100. It's super stable (never needs a reset), super fast at routing (fastest recorded at practicallynetworked.com), but not highly configurable.

Thanks for the tip Alkrun.

Looking forward to reading your follow-on post Geist.

==Flipper==

alkrun
02-01-2002, 10:07 AM
And if you can enable port forwarding, you should just need ports 5999(login server), 9000(world server) and whatever ports you're using for your zone servers 9001-9006 by default.

flipper
02-01-2002, 10:28 AM
And if you can enable port forwarding, you should just need ports 5999(login server), 9000(world server) and whatever ports you're using for your zone servers 9001-9006 by default.
When your config files are setup per Kensupen's post (above), then those ports are all I needed for external access to work. My problem is that I can't even connect to my own server with the config files setup for external access (my friend was able to connect to me just fine).

unrelated (or somewhat related) question...
It's UDP on those ports right? I initially had just TCP ports open and nada. Then I opened both TCP and UDP and things started working. Can you get away with just UDP, or are both protocols needed?

Thanks

==Flipper==
Terminally Lost
:(

alkrun
02-01-2002, 12:16 PM
From a quick look at the code,

Zone Ports are UDP

World Ports are UDP AND TCP

Not sure about the Login port.