PDA

View Full Version : A little help getting started with network packets

Pneu
11-17-2004, 02:48 AM
I've been toying with the idea of playing around with server and client software for EQ. I've been thinking about auto-clickers, and also about serverside emulation. I have been an intermittent user of Eqemu for some time but I still have my live account and play mostly on that.

I dont know if what I have in mind is taboo to you guys, but if you can help me forward it is conceiveable that you have another mind working at the inner workings of EQ and I can help you in return later perhaps?

At the moment I am trying to fathom out EQ's connection process, what ports are used, and what information to send and expect back. What ports does EQ use for all the various data, a flow chart would be great if you have one! hehe...

My aim, hopefully not something you guys disaprove of, is to write some small tools to help me in game. Keeping an eye on spawns, and doing my monotonous tradeskills and skill up clicks for me. That kind of stuff, usefull things that I find boring in game.

To do this I am most interested in learning as much as I can about the connection between EQ server and client. What data packets are sent on what port, what format do the data packets send.

Perhaps by helping me now, if you have the information to give, I can return the favour later.

Muuss
11-17-2004, 03:45 AM
some small tools to help me in game
Isn't this a lil bit... forbidden on live ?

Pneu
11-17-2004, 05:23 AM
You are referring of course to the EULA, the thing about that is it appears whenever you start the game and it is a long legal document. It would take much of the evening to read it.

Therefore the EULA is by definition something that players agree to only under duress, and duress invalidates any legal document.

Also if the client end does not display the Sony EULA you are not agreeing to the terms of it whilst using the client tool...

I see no justification at all for games to have rules enforced by law. I buy the game, and then I have that data to do with what I want except breach copyright. Isn't that the founding principle of Eqemu?

Provided common courtesy and respect are still shown to other players, is there really anything wrong in an autoclicker, teleporter, or spawn watcher?

Draupner
11-17-2004, 01:01 PM
macroquest.sf.net n00b