PDA

View Full Version : VS .Net 2005

krusher
01-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey FNW. Do you know of or see any issues with the VS .Net 2005 version for the emu. Dunno if you have tried to compile with 2005 yet and was just curious.

Thanks

gottasummer
01-08-2006, 01:49 AM
I tried the Express Beta 1 when it was first released with little success, I had to take my libs and includes from my VS.NET 2002 to get it to work sort of, and had errors.

If you are looking to get Visual Studio, I would honestly say do not go with express, but if you "have" to, I don't know what to say.

If you are looking to ask what one to buy, I can honestly say VS.NET 2003, I wish I had that, but am stuck with the origional (2002), 2003 would be nice as you can develop for your smartphone ;)

I haven't seen anything about it working, and nothing about it not working, so if you are looking for the express version, I can suggest you download it and tell us if it works ;)

If it does, then that will save some people the headache of relying on others to make a build.

fathernitwit
01-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I havent tried 2005, but I havent heard any major differences between it and 2003, so I imagine it should work... after the changes I just made get into CVS.

gottasummer
01-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Cool.

I personally do not care for the whole .NET framework 2.0 thing... one thing I do wish I had done was buy a MSDN copy of VS.NET 2005 Professional, as now that its out, the price went up about $480 lol, could have gotten the disks shipped to me for about $20 about 11 months ago.

fathernitwit
01-09-2006, 02:52 AM
As if I do not have better things to do, for some reason I am really interested in the free MS compilers...
Here are instructions on how to get eqemu to buid with VS express.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=DevVSExpress

gottasummer
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I will just stick with my VS.NET 2002, thank-you.

No .NET framework 2.0 for me.

As if I do not have better things to do, for some reason I am really interested in the free MS compilers...

Ibix
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM

::EDIT:: I forgot to specifically state: I am using VC++ 2005 Express, I hoped that would be obvious by my having followed the directions given above, but I just want to make sure. ::EDIT::

I have followed the instructions as posted in that link you gave; thanks for the instructions, they do seem very clear indeed. I am having a small problem that I realize is something I have done for sure, but just wanted to ask if anyone knows what thing I did wrong, and if so, how to fix it.

When I follow all of those instructions and then go to open up the Server.DSW, I get warnings on each of the projects, that I must convert them to the latest Visual C++ Project format. This in itself doesn't really cause me much concern, because if I tell it yes to all, it eventually opens the project and everything looks peachy. If I try to build any of the projects, however, I get a ton of C2248 errors (ex: 'Inventory::_HasItemByUse' : cannot access protected member declared in class 'Inventory').

I did search the forums for those errors and found a thread where they were referred to. In that single case, the responder said you just needed to move that particular method from the Protected to the Public declaration block. It appears to only be on 3 different methods inside the Inventory object, so I can change those, but I expected to see someone else having the problem as well, if I were having the problem.

Other than that, I seem to be having problems with certain files (just after a quick scan of the build log, EQChatPacket.cpp, EQLoginPacket.cpp and EQMailPacket.cpp at least) not being in the project. I did a search and found that they are not included in the CVS code I checked out at all. They ARE in the zipped source code that I downloaded from another link on your site. I'm guessing this is something I did wrong when checking out the files, but can anyone confirm that those ARE in the current CVS set, and that I just did something wrong?

Because of the fact that I am getting a warning upon opening the project, and tons of errors thereafter, I'm totally under the assumption that I foobar'd something, so please feel free to point out what it is that I did wrong.

sesmar
01-14-2006, 05:14 PM
I am not using Visual Studio 2005, but I had a problem similar to the one you are having.

Even with the latest version from the CVS I have to add in the files:

[From the Common folder]
EQChatPacket.cpp
EQLoginPacket.cpp
EQMailPacket.cpp
EQWorldPacket.cpp
EQZonePacket.cpp
logsys.cpp

[From the zone folder]
perl_perlpacket.cpp
perlpacket.cpp

To the project. Most people do not seem to have this problem but I seem to get it with every version of the source that I download since version 0.6.4

I hope this helps some.