PDA

View Full Version : Class

Magefeu
08-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Hello everyone,

Did anyone made a test on creating a new class ?

mattmeck
08-29-2006, 02:20 AM
cant, classes and races are hard coded into the client.

Scorpious2k did make a custom merchant class, but there werent new skills and you couldnt pick it from the character select.

Magefeu
08-29-2006, 02:35 AM
My goal is to try a creation of an EQEMU version for solo people. Not everyone has the possibility to play with friends or doesn't want to get involved into guilds ect...

The problem then is the class balancing and the skills. So I guess I should more have a look on modifying an existing class and it's skills than trying to create one ...

mattmeck
08-29-2006, 04:56 AM
The issue is thats all hard coded into the client, and cant be changed.

InsaneWallaby
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Magefeu,

I sort of did that myself. Crudely. Although really, it worked pretty well, and I still get capped pretty frequently but can kill the stronger things easily. Unfortunately, though, it would need to be solo only...I'm the only person who has ever used my server. I wouldn't trust everybody to "play by the rules."

What I did was I played a ranger, made all items usable by all/all, custom-picked my race with permarace, made all primary weapons and offhand weapons usable in both slots, made all spells usable by all/all at the highest level appropriate (IE, choosing the paladin level if a cleric can use it too at a lower level), scaled all enemy hit points to be the standard pow(level,2)+10*level, and removed enemy summons. This probably sounds easy, but trust me, when you leave their damage the same, its a terrible place to be when you're somewhere like ssra temple and you have a ton o' snakes smacking you for double 200s. In fact, I just got mowed down by the loremaster and four buddies because it was my first time there, and I didn't know the guy smacked for 700s. I mean, at first glance, it's just a little bunny rabbit, ye know...

If you try to avoid majorly cheating by holding your urge to go exploiting a few bugs here and there within the database that you might know about, really, its pretty fun soloing, and challenging at times, too. On top of that, you get 90% of the best of all classes--dual wield, strong weaponry, and strong spells, which leaves only things such as pick lock (useless without many locked doors), alchemy (useful sometimes), tinkering (uh....fireworks?), spell specialization, and a few of the AAs. Furthermore, it removes that terrible downtime of getting levels (I was getting about two or three a night, mostly because I was able to effectively kill whites and usually yellows and a few reds until about level 30, and past that I still managed to kill difficult blues and whites without many problems.) Yeah, you may kill stuff a bit stronger than you at first. But it scales out nicely in the end. For a good feeling, I got from 62 to 65 soloing in HoT in Temple of Veeshan with some moderate difficulty. No biggy, right?

It may not be perfect, but it makes it pretty fun, nonetheless, and there still exists a good chance of death while making some stuff easy to kill after advancing. Furthermore, it was quick and painless to set up, and with knowledge of a few basic SQL query statements, it doesn't take long at all to implement. I believe I learned everything from setting up Apache to run PHP, perl, and windows to Perl scripting to basic database stuff and SQL queries all on the same day, and had my server going by the next, and I hadn't touched the stuff before then.

Anyways, there's my two cents on if you want a solo server. Unfortunately, my style is more like Dungeon Siege or Diablo, though, so you gotta like to kill stuff. If you want a genuine solo server however, heh, good luck, because you'll need it.

Arex
08-29-2006, 06:58 PM
......u neednt change server code for to do u server good for play soloing, i am playing on my server with only one person more and we can to do a lot of things, kill all Antonica+kunark+velious mobs, and we ll go to luclin soon. U only need to do any changes on DB and summon any items that give the possibility of cast any interesting spells that u need for help to u class.

Magefeu
08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks,

That's what I thought. Changing all the items, spells ect... to all/all and changing also the mob hp should do it.

Teppen
08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
its true that you cant create a new class, but you could rename a current class, for instance changing a Paladin(PAL) to Knight(KNI) and then editing all desired items so Knights could use them, could also rename diety, etc.. There is a nice guide posted in forums about this.

Although, my main goal is submitting quest to the peq project because I would one day like to have the most accurate like live or atleast core through pop for myself and buddies to play via lan party, I have started on a custom server where Ive been renaming race, class, and diety. Ive even dabbled with creating items from scratch and implementing the renamed races and classes to use them. Some of the race renames are a tad funny for instance the cat race was renamed to Furri (FUR), and the halflings to Shortlings (SHO). Then for classes for example Bards, changed to Muse (MUS). I kept the character select pretty much the same like what you could choose per race and class but implemented the renames. So you could create a Furri (FUR) Muse (MUS).
heh. All this is client side, so everyone playing on your server would need the changed files, cant remember the names of files the strings are in but the tutorial in forums covers this quite well.

Ive always thought of maybe one could add new classes or races by hex'ing the eqgame.exe but I seriously doubt it. Seems like a pipe dream, could of been a reality if deaken (think that was his name..) finished him opensource client project ... openeq. too bad that flopped and no one has continued his work.