PDA

View Full Version : Simple solution for NPC pet pile-ups

Angelox
09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know if this is still a problem, but it is with me; when you zone in to an area like Temple of Droga, there's a "ghost" effect which places all the NPC pets piled up in one spot by the zone. This has a very "unrealistic" effect if you're trying to play a straight game.
I noticed the pile-up is always in the zone's safe coords (safe_x, safe_y, safe_z) -
So, I figured, what are safe coords needed for , other than for GM movement? couldn't think of any other reason, so, for example in Droga, I set safe coords to 0, 0, 0, which puts them in the little white box with the kiddy-cat pics on the wall. As for my GM, I set up a #goto macro thet puts me back at the zin, after I get to the box.
So my temporary solution for a problem with NPC pet pile-ups at the zone is to find a hidden spot (away from the players view) in the zone, for the zone's safe coords.

InsaneWallaby
09-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Heh, I remember that white box...I believe there was one time that I zoned into LGuk on Live once long ago, and ended up stuck there somehow for three hours until a GM came and got me....

On a side note, though, don't spells like Succor take you/your target/your group back to the safe point in the zone? I'm not sure how they're programmed exactly, and if your actions may have consequences for these spells, but you might take that into account. I'd rather have a pet pileup and get back to my zone line correctly myself, rather than end up in the white box again.

Angelox
09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Heh, I remember that white box...I believe there was one time that I zoned into LGuk on Live once long ago, and ended up stuck there somehow for three hours until a GM came and got me....

On a side note, though, don't spells like Succor take you/your target/your group back to the safe point in the zone? I'm not sure how they're programmed exactly, and if your actions may have consequences for these spells, but you might take that into account. I'd rather have a pet pileup and get back to my zone line correctly myself, rather than end up in the white box again.

And I thought the white boxes was an Eqemu thing - I tested to see if the Succor spells were related, and it doesn't seem so, I used #castspell 2184 (which is lesser) and in two different zones , I got put into different coords - In Droga, the coords from Succor get you stuck, elsewhere in the zone (needs fixing too). Also Succor is instant and should have a delay to it.

mattmeck
09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
#cast instantly casts any spell.

John Adams
09-04-2006, 05:29 AM
I've noticed many oddities with pet-classes throughout the world. Nexus, for instance. Those NPCs are set as mages instantly summon a pet when they are "born". And oddly, any NPC that has a spellID seems to go on casting and casting and casting. Spam! But yes, I have seen the pet pile up. But if you banish all pets to 0 0 0, that does no good for their masters who need their services, correct? Which in effect may lessen the immersion as well.

Maybe the fix is to dig into the pet code and see why they behave the way they do. I might have time to help with this next week. Currently, sick _and_ swamped with work. sigh...

Angelox
09-04-2006, 08:03 AM
I've noticed many oddities with pet-classes throughout the world. Nexus, for instance. Those NPCs are set as mages instantly summon a pet when they are "born". And oddly, any NPC that has a spellID seems to go on casting and casting and casting. Spam! But yes, I have seen the pet pile up. But if you banish all pets to 0 0 0, that does no good for their masters who need their services, correct? Which in effect may lessen the immersion as well.

Maybe the fix is to dig into the pet code and see why they behave the way they do. I might have time to help with this next week. Currently, sick _and_ swamped with work. sigh...

I think it's more like a "ghost" effect , where the pets are not reallly there - as you can still see all the NPC's with their pets.
Also, I don't recall any mobs on Live / Droga with pets. Probaly shouldn't have any there anyways.
But if you can figure out a way to fix this it would be great -